Chapter 7

Death Bringer

"No!" Tzofiya yelled, an all-knowing look in her eyes. She drew nearer to Benjamin and tried desperately to hold on to him. He looked down at her and smiled.

"Don't worry love, I'll be fine." Releasing his hold on her, Benjamin stood to face them, then he quickly looked back at Tzofiya, who lost her balance trying to stand as well. She was still weak.

"She was hurt, Constantine, and you all did nothing to save her."

"We're here, aren't we?" Constantine countered. "Step away from her and release the souls."

As Tzofiya tried again to stand, she paused hearing Constantine's words, looked up at Benjamin, and lowered her brows.

"She's fine," he said, moving slightly to the side. "She just needs to rest."

"With your poisoned light coursing through her, I'm sure she needs more than that." Without another word, Constantine tossed a small blade at Tzofiya. It landed in-between her breast, and quicker than a thought, he was standing over her. Constantine knelt and put more pressure on the blade, driving it deeper into her body.

"I'm sorry, my love," he said looking into her eyes, "but this is the only way."

"No..." she whispered, tears streaming down her cheeks. She closed her eyes, and her arms fell limp.

"No!" Benjamin screamed. He ran toward Tzofiya, tossing out a wave of blood energy that sent every one of them flying back. He reached her side in a flash and dove into her presence, reaching, searching, and pulling. Her light has to be here somewhere, he reasoned; she's so strong. Stronger than anyone I've ever come across. He paused a moment as he came upon it.

"So weak," he said aloud, and sent every ounce of light he still held into her. He didn't care what was going on about him, though he could hear the angels moving about. They must have recovered, he reasoned, no matter. He tossed up a shield and shoved the remainder of light he still held at Tzofiya.

Benjamin, she said into his mind, you'll be to weak; stop, its okay.

He shook his head. I don't care, I wont lose you again. Benjamin immersed himself in her light, smiling as he felt her presence. They can banish me to the edge of the universe if they like; as long as I have you I don't care. Abruptly Benjamin went cold—ice cold. His hold on Tzofiya's light was gone, ripped away from him forcefully. He frowned and reached out for it again, frantic, but found nothing. Opening his eyes, Benjamin saw a golden spear spinning at the heart of the reformed archangels. It was suspended in mid-air, and glowing brightly. It was her. "Tzofiya," he said, reaching out to her. Standing, he dropped the shell that once held her light, and moved toward them.

Benjamin stopped at the pointy end of Constantine's sword and looked up into his eyes. "Nay brother," Constantine said, shaking his head, "she is no longer yours. Release the souls and I may let you live to mourn her." Benjamin growled and reached deep. He pulled on every single soul he still held, not caring at this point if they lived or died because if his actions. The angles cringed as if they too were affected and Constantine moved to strike. Stepping forward slightly, he twisted his hand and brought the sword around for a strike at Benjamin's neck.

Benjamin shifted his foot back and brought his arms around, arching them slightly as he formed a small energy ball. He released it at Constantine and sent him flying back nearly six feet into the air. Without a moment to breathe, he lifted his arms and moved them rather quickly to the left and to the right as he spun, shielding the attacks. He ducked and dodged the swords of angels, tossing balls of energy at them when he had the chance. Jumping and climbing was a necessary maneuver at times, but they each met his agility in turn. Benjamin had only a moment to pause as another archangel fell to the ground and rolled. His face was covered in dirt; he rushed for his sword and stood again, coming back for another chance at him.