Chapter 14

Donatien laid on a couch in one of the sitting rooms. Matt was lying beside him with his head on the vampire’s chest. They were both silent, listening to the clock ticking in soft rhythm. The wind of the winter storm could be heard whistling outside, contrasting the sound of the crackling fire in the corner of the room.

     “Will this storm end soon?” Matt asked.

     Donatien wrapped an arm around the boy’s shoulder. “Don’t worry my dear, it should.” He knew his latest toy was hungry. Being a newborn vampire could be difficult in the winter when the hunting opportunities were slim. “Hungry?”

     “Starving.” Matt replied. His innocent eyes refracted the firelight.

     Donatien smiled and gave his lover a kiss. “Have patience. If it continues, I’ll ask a servant to fetch some blood for you.”

     “But I like it better fresh.” Matt whined.

     “I know my dear.” Donatien said softly. “And that’s why I’m so fond of you. You learn so quickly and you’re such an elegant killer.”

     Matt smiled shyly. He loved these compliments from his master. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by a servant entering the room.

     The servant bowed, her soft blond hair shimmered in the light. “Excuse me.” She apologized with a bow of her head. “Master Asmodeus wishes to speak to you.”

     Donatien sighed and rolled his eyes. “Alright.” He said and waved his hand to dismiss her. He stood and gave Matt another small kiss. “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

     Donatien made his way to Asmodeus’ room and found the door open. He bowed his head when he entered. The huge room was dark except for the light from the small fireplace, casting long shadows. He found the Ancient brooding in his chair. “Asmodeus, sir?”

     “The Black Phoenix won’t die.” Asmodeus muttered.

     Donatien made a face. He had not been informed that the Ancients had commissioned NSI to kill the infamous vampire. “What?”

     “The slayers can’t kill him and the vampires seem to love him.”

     This was juicy. Donatien laughed. “Only some of them.” He said. “Why didn’t you tell me that the Ancients were after him?”

     Asmodeus snapped his head to look at the younger vampire. “Why?”

     Donatien laughed again. “Well I have a pretty good idea who it is.”

     Asmodeus hissed. “You know?”

     “I have a good idea. That whiney kid that I turned in the summer, Joseph.”

     Asmodeus twitched. “That kid!” He screamed.

    Donatien held up his hands in defence. “Hey, it’s just that the dates line up perfect with his disappearance.” He said. “And I know how to get to him.”

     Asmodeus’ eyes narrowed. “How?”

    “My newest toy told me that he knew my Joseph.” Donatien grinned. “And he’s dying to take his revenge.”

     Asmodeus shook his head. “Well everyone else has failed me so far. I’ll put my trust in you.” He said firmly. “Don’t let me down.”

     Donatien nodded and turned towards the door.

     “Oh and one more thing,” Asmodeus added. “Put the word on the street that I want Frank Randall’s family dead.”