Poofless- Memories

Preston's P.O.V.

"Hey Rob." I whispered, slipping onto the bed beside him. He looked up, smiling weakly, and I lifted his head so it was resting on my lap, running my hand through his hair. "How are you this morning?"

"I'm okay Pressy." He mumbled, his eyes sliding closed.

He was incredibly sick and weak, barely able to lift his arm up to take my hand. He was dying. I knew he wouldn't be around much longer, he had been in hospital for months and after years of battling cancer he was slowly losing his fight.

"That's good." I whispered, planting a light kiss on his forehead.

We sat in silence for a little while, myself massaging Rob's head and Rob fading in and out of sleep in my lap. I knew he was exhausted, even the few words he had spoken and his tiny movements had drained his energy so much that all he could was go back to sleep.

Eventually, I started talking, going over all the amazing memories we shared together. I looked over to the window, carding my hand through his hair and just started talking, even though I knew he probably wasn't listening.

"Do you remember our first date?" I smiled to myself. We had been so young and naïve back then, so much in love. "I know I do, because we were so little and it created so many amazing memories that I never want to forget."

I sighed, smiling as my eyes came across the photo on the draw beside us. It was Rob and I, many, many years ago, quite a cute photo, and it was taken on our first date at the fair ground just beside the ferris wheel.

"Do you remember playing that stupid shooting clown ball game? And how you got so frustrated with it that you almost broke it?" I rolled my eyes, smiling at the happy memory.

It was one of those rigged stupid festival games, where the aim was to throw balls into a clowns mouth and the ball would slide into a slot, which would give you points. The higher number of points the bigger the prize.

Rob had got one or two points on all 5 throws and he wasn't impressed because he kicked the bench, completely knocking one of the legs off and almost breaking the whole thing. It was only because he caught the table that he didn't get kicked out of the fair, within an hour of our arrival.

I glanced down to see a tiny smile plastered on Rob's face, he was listening and remembered it like I did.

"How about all the times you came and spent holidays with my family, even before we were dating? I'm pretty sure you became an honorary son to them before you became my boyfriend." Rob let out a tiny giggle, completely relaxing in my lap.

"You would come around for Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year's, birthdays, anything really and we got to know each other so much better because of it, it was probably the reason we started dating if I'm honest."

We started dating about 2 years after we first met each other, we first came into contact when I was 18, started dating when I was 20 and since then we had been together. I was 25 now and although we were still together, everything was falling apart.

"How about all the time we spent with the boys, the ski trips, the meet ups, travelling to other countries and seeing the world." I smiled. "I loved travelling with you to different places, YouTube really gave us so many opportunities to explore the world."

"We went to so many countries, we went to almost every continent. Going to Australia or Lachlan going up to Canada was always your favourite cause you two were so childish. You would have pillow fights at 3am or push snow down the neck of his clothes or have sword fights to the Star Wars theme song."

"You two were honestly like siblings." I smiled to myself. Lachlan was like a little brother to both of us, bright eyed and happy all of the time and we protected him with everything we had.

"What about all the stupid memories we made together, having a snowball fight in the middle of winter in Canada, cuddling together when your heating went out, pushing each other in the pool. There's so many amazing things we did together."

Rob was quiet and I kept my eyes to the window, his slow breathing reassuring me.

"God I love you so much Rob..." I whispered, smiling. "I love you so much and I don't want to let you go, I don't know if I can keep going without you."

There was silence for a few moments and I looked down.

"Rob?" I whispered, panicked. His body was limp in my lap, his eyes closed. My heartrate rose when I didn't see his chest rising and falling, he was motionless, and I pretty quickly realised that he wasn't breathing.

He had died peacefully in my arms, listening to my voice.

He was gone.

And I held him in my arms, crying, I knew that it was for the better. He had been suffering and there was no hope of recovery, so now that he was gone I knew there would be no more pain, no more suffering.

"I love you Rob." I whispered to the silent boy, knowing he would never reply. "I'll never forget you."