Chapter 23

Here is chapter 23.

It was now Friday and I was in science. I wasn’t paying much attention and I wasn’t sure why. We were learning about evolution and the teacher had told us we had an assignment to do on it. I wasn’t sure what it was about though. Like I said, I wasn’t paying much attention. I didn’t even know most of the class was staring at me.

“Mrs Hales, stop day dreaming and answer the question please,” the teacher yelled. He didn’t seem very happy.

“Sorry, what was the question?” I ask and he sighs while rubbing his forehead.

“Detention Mrs Hales. Go to the detention room after school and do your detention there. Please start paying attention,” he says and I groan.

The rest of the lesson went by too fast. I texted Ryker straight after class, telling him I had detention. I know mum will be mad when I get home so I have to be very careful. Hopefully detention doesn’t take too long. I read ‘DETENTION’ on the door and handed the teacher my slip. Just as I sat down, Kat walked in. Great, I thought to myself. Kat walks to a desk and takes a seat on the other side of the room.

-

*Half an hour later*

We were finally excused and I walk out as fast as I can. I walk into the girls’ bathroom and wash my face. My face felt a bit warm and I decided to cool it down a bit. One of the biggest mistakes I’ve made. Kat walks in and locks the door. Okay, now I’m scared.

“I thought I told you not to steal my Lukey away from me,” she pouts but immediately has an evil grin on her face.

“I swear I didn’t. You guys broke up a while ago anyway,” I try to defend myself. She walks towards me while I walk backwards until I hit a wall.

“You did steal him away and you are going to wish you hadn’t,” she says evilly and I start shaking.

Soon she knees me in the gut then punches me in the face. She pushes me down to the ground and continues to kick to me in the stomach. She then kicked me in the head a few times before picking me up and shoving me hard again the wall.

“Stop please,” I choke out and she laughs at me.

“How about I don’t stop? You deserve it, Hales! Maybe next time you’ll remember to not steal people’s boyfriends,” she yells then slaps me hard. I couldn’t see very well, everything was too blurry.

“Please,” I plead and she knees me in the gut one last time before I fall to the floor and grasp my stomach in pain.

“Stay away from Luke,” she spits.

She laughs at me then leaves. I lay there in pain before I get up to finally leave. I text Ryker and tell him to pick me up so I wait for him outside the school. Once he arrived I hop in and he gasps.

“Madie, what happened to you?” he asks and I shake my head as tears prick at my eyes.

“Nothing,” I choke out and he sighs.

“When you get home, go straight upstairs and to your room. Mum is pretty angry and I don’t want you to get hurt any more than you already are,” he says concerned. I nod my head and we leave. “I have to go to work once I drop you off. Sorry I won’t be able to be there for you when you walk in.”

“It’s okay Ryker. I understand.”

We get to the house and I get out of the car before slowly making my way up to the house. As soon as I open the door, mum is standing there with a very angry look on her face. She grabs my arm and pulls me upstairs into my room. She throws me to the ground and shuts my door, locking it.