• twenty one •

As soon as the door closed behind him, cutting off all sounds from his fellow Aurors, Harry sank into his chair and closed his eyes.

They have just returned from an operation. A bizarre phenomenon was detected near the outskirts of London, and Harry, along with two other Aurors, was given the task to investigate. They had apparated there, only to be attacked by a group of magical bandits who attempted to rob them. After having caught and bound them, they discovered a strange aura in that location. Deciding that it wasn't the job of Aurors, they returned, transferring their job to Aurorlogists to investigate the aura and Obliviates to obliviate the muggles who have witnessed their fight.

Harry leaned far back against his chair and raised his legs to rest them over his table. His entire body screamed in rebellion, demanding him to quit working for the day and go home. He was inclined to agree.

There was a soft knock on the door, and he quickly lowered his legs and sat in a more respectable position. But when he saw that the visitor was Corben, he relaxed and slouched back again.

"Hi," said Corben, a shy smile appearing on his face. "Can I come in?"

"Sure." He nodded and used a spell to pull a chair from the opposite side of his room. He gestured towards it and Corben sat down gingerly.

This was the first time they were seeing each other after they left the Burrow after Christmas. Harry distinctly remembered the night they had kissed, and the day afterwards when he had pecked Corben softly on the lips. They had then left that afternoon, and haven't seen each other in two days, although they have talked on the phone.

By the look on Corben's face, it was evident that he was nervous. It saddened him. He didn't want Corben to be nervous around him. He loved spending time with him, talking to him, laughing with him. Why should Corben feel so jumpy in his presence?

"Does Audra know you are here?" he asked playfully in an attempt to dilute the tension in the room. It worked, if only slightly, for Corben chuckled.

"Well, I told her I'm going to grab lunch."

Harry was feeling so tired that he covered his face with his hands, then proceeded to rub his eyes with his thumbs. "You lied to your mentor?" he asked teasingly, then tutted. "I didn't expect it from you, Corben. Even though you are a Slytherin."

Harry was scared that perhaps due to his exhaustion, he would not be able to deliver the joke properly and would end up offending Corben. But thankfully, he caught the joke. "What do you mean, even though you are a Slytherin? We Slytherins are taught to lie since we are born, it's our ingrained trait. You should expect us to lie at all times, Harry. No lie, no snake."

Harry laughed, but it came out weak. He saw the smile slip out of Corben's face as he leaned forward and placed a hand over his shoulder. "Are you alright?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "Just tired, is all."

Corben pulled his chair closer to him. "Harry –" he began, but stopped himself. He was biting his lips, and Harry had the feeling that he was holding back his words from spilling out of his mouth.

He cupped his face with a hand. "Why do you look nervous? You know you can tell me anything – you don't have to feel nervous."

"I'm not," he said, but conceded a second later. "Well, a little."

"What for?"

"Well –" he shuffled in his spot, rubbing his thighs repeatedly. "I – I liked kissing you. But –"

Harry waited for him to continue, but when he didn't finish the sentence, he began to grow anxious. "Corben – you don't regret it. Do you?"

"I don't know," he admitted. An icy feeling washed over Harry. He wished Corben would stop talking now and leave. He wished he could stand up and politely ask him to go back to his training. But he remained seated and waited. "I just feel like –" he hesitated. "Well, you are Harry Potter."