Chapter 102

Elua's POV.

"Why would he try to fool us like that?" Katara asks as we all begin to set up camp in the temple.
"Obviously, he wants to lead us into some kind of trap," Sokka says.
"This is just like when we were in prison together in Ba Sing Se. He starts talking about his mother, and making it seem like he's an actual human being with feelings," Katara says angrily.
"He wants you to trust him and feel sorry for him, so you let your guard down, then he strikes," Sokka says with a glare of anger.
"The thing is, it worked. I did feel sorry for him. I felt like he was really confused and hurt. But obviously, when the time came, he made his choice, and we paid the price. We can't trust him," Katara says shaking her head.

"I kind of have a confession to make," Aang says, making us look over to him. "Remember when you two were sick and I got captured by Zhao?" He asks Katara and Sokka.
"And you made us suck on frozen frogs? How could I forget?" Sokka asks as he tosses his sleeping mat on the ground. "I had a wart on the flap that hangs down from the back of my throat for a month!" He shouts as he opens his mouth and points towards his uvula.
"Sokka, I looked at it and told you there was nothing there," I tell him.
"I could feel it! It's my throat flap," Sokka states. I sigh as I shake my head.
"Anyway, when Zhao had me chained up, it was Zuko who came in and got me out. He risked his life to save me and Elua," Aang explains.

"No way, I'm sure he only did it so he could capture you himself and take Elua back as his prisoner," Katara says as she crosses her arms.
"Yeah, face it Aang. You're both nothing but a big prize for him," Sokka states.
"You're probably right," Aang says. I sigh as I look away from them. Of course, I was skeptical about Zuko, he was a part of hurting Aang back in Ba Sing Se. But, people change.
"And what was all that crazy stuff about setting Appa free? What a liar," Katara says.
"Actually, he wasn't lying," Toph states.
"Oh, hooray. In a lifetime of evil, at least he didn't add animal cruelty to the list," Sokka says sarcastically.

"She's just saying that considering his messed-up family, and how he was raised, he could've turned out a lot worse.," I tell them and Toph nods in agreeance.
"You're right, Elua, let's go find him and give him a medal. The 'not as much of a jerk as you could have been' award," Katara says sarcastically, rolling her eyes.
"All I know is that while he was talking to us, he was sincere, Maybe you're all just letting your hurt feelings keep you from thinking clearly," Toph states, I look at Toph with a 'Thank you' expression.
"Easy for you to say, Toph, you weren't there when he had us attacked by pirates," Katara tells her.
"Or when he burned down Kyoshi Island," Sokka says.
"Or when he tried to capture me and Elua at the fire temple," Aang says.

"Why would you even try to defend him?" Katara asks angrily.
"Because Katara, you're all ignoring one crucial fact," Toph says as she walks over to us. "Aang and Elua need a firebending teacher. We can't think of a single person in the world to do the job. Now one shows up on a silver platter, and you won't even think about it?" She asks Katara in annoyance as she stomps her feet, shaking the earth we stand on. Katara looks over to Aang.
"I'm not having Zuko as my teacher," Aang states.
"You're darn right you're not, buddy," Sokka tells him as he puts a hand on his shoulder.
"Well, I guess that's settled," Katara says. Toph shakes her head as she turns away from us.
"I'm beginning to wonder who's really the blind one around here," Toph says as she walks away angrily. I look over to the others as I shake my head and try to hide my disapproval.

"What?" Katara asks, obviously seeing my expression.
"She's right," I state.
"What? You want to go find Zuko?" Aang asks in shock.
"He's all we have," I state as I step away from the wall I had been leaning on. "There's a big chance that he's changed," I tell them.
"Elua, he held you, prisoner, for weeks!" Sokka shouts. "And you want to trust him!?" He shouts again.
"Yes!" I shout back. "We have to defeat the Fire Lord and we can't do that if Aang doesn't learn firebending," I remind them.
"So you think the Fire Lord's son is a good option?" Katara asks.