chapter 11

“Are you kidding me? He actually said that? Fuck. What a dickhead! I’m sorry Liz, but he can’t talk to you like that.” Jackson, who had returned, not long after Jacob left, to apologise was sitting on my bed gob smacked after I told him about what Jacob had said to me.

“Babe, are you forgetting something?” Jackson tilted his head to the side, and my heart started beating faster. “He knows something is up with you and Scott…”

“Ahh… yeah but he doesn’t know what, and he won’t guess it. Would you?”

“Well no, but he does think there is a connection between Juliet’s death and you guys. He isn’t stupid or closed-minded. And don’t forget that not long ago, you thought he was close to finding out.” Jackson closed his eyes and grabbed the bridge of him nose, sighing out loud he grabbed my hand.

“Yes I know, but like I said before; would he ever guess that my best friend is a shape shifter, who is losing his humanity? Not likely. Anyway, there was another reason why I came over… you know how Scott rang me?” oh of course! I had completely forgotten.

“Is everything alright?” I sat up straighter and squeezed his hand.

“Yeah, but he is getting scared. He forgot his mum Liz, I know how you said that he might not of seen her properly, but why was he changing in the house? He has never done that before. His mum made that a rule on his tenth birthday. I’m getting worried too… his dad was 40 when he lost his humanity. Scott is only 17. Something is wrong Liz, really wrong.” I looked Jackson in the eyes, and grabbed him, pulling him close to me. He leaned his head into my collarbone and I ran my hands through his hair. Jackson pulled me down so were lying on my bed, tangled up together.

“I’m so glad I have you.” He whispered into my hair. I pulled away so I could see Jackson’s face; grabbing it in both hands I leaned in and kissed him, The kinds of kiss that you see on movies, so intimate between the couple that it almost makes you want to turn away.

I did not want it to end, but I couldn’t get one thing out of my mind: Jacob. Pulling away I heard Jackson groan silently.

“I’m sorry… but aren’t you worried that he will find out what Scott is? Or will find out something?” I grudgingly sat up, wanting Jackson to take me serious and not pull me back down. It was funny, the roles had now been reversed. Jackson was now the one who didn’t think Jacob would find out anything and I was now the one who thought that he might. Sighing Jackson pulled himself up and held my hand, looking right at me.

“How can he? Unless he did what you did and follow Scott and me into the forest and see him change. I don’t think he would do that, if anything he would be keeping an eye on you. So therefore keeping an eye on me. Not Scott. ” I still wasn’t convinced. And apparently that was clear to Jackson who pulled me in for a hug and whispered: “everything will be fine, lets just take it as it comes.” Then pulling back to look at me he added, “do you trust me?” I nodded as he continued, “Then trust me to protect Scott, Cara and you. Please?”

“Ok” I gave Jackson a half smile and pulled myself closer to him. Breathing him in I didn’t want to let go, but of course something pulled us apart. I was beginning to notice that happening quite often, and I didn’t like it, but so far they were important and had to be dealt with. This time however was not important. Jackson’s phone was ringing and seeing as I was closest I saw who was ringing: Mary: Jackson’s mother.

“Baby, you don’t have to answer it… please?” Jackson took the phone from me and looked.

“My mother. I think your right. I don’t have to answer it and I wont.” Hitting the end button Jackson put his phone down and grabbed me.