Chapter One

Laurel

Kara's birthday party was definitely going to be crazy, I mean the Danvers don't joke around when it came to parties. 

"Here," Alex handed me a side of the banner she had made for Kara. "So, have you called back that guy you were supposed to go on a date with?"

"No, I don't think I will either" I replied, stepping onto a chair. "He was a nice guy and all, but he just wasn't someone I saw... a life with?"

"You sound confused," She said, handing me a thumbtack.

"I don't know, I just can't seem to figure out if I'm doing it all properly" I sighed, "My dad always taught me and my sister to prioritize work before social"

"Isn't your father called the 'detective of midnight' in Star City?" She asked, helping me off the chair, stepping back to figure out if the banner was straight or no. "'The Man to save the world'?"

"Yea, it's just a nickname the papers started a few years back" I shook my head, pulling out my phone. "Oliver and William are already bringing the birthday girl back"

"Okay, we're just about done" Alex grabs the final piece for the door, a piece of wood painted red and blue with Kara's name and birthday, tied together with a twine bow. "Can you go hang this on the door?"

"Yea" I grabbed it and made my way out to the front door. The Danvers always hung signs on their front door, from birthday signs to easter signs, they had a special nail already in place for them.

"Ah, Lance, the former girlfriend of the birthday girls boyfriend" Malcolm chuckled, "What a weird thing to say, right?"

"It's only weird if people acknowledge it" I hung the twine onto the nail and centered the sign. "What are you doing her early? I thought you'd be 'fashionably late'" 

"As much as that is me, Kara is practically a sister to me, I couldn't be late if I tried" her stood next to me, "Plus, she insisted I chatted with you"

"Why?" I asked, playing with the material we wrapped around the pillar just outside the door. 

"She said you've become... a... Workaholic" He took my arm away from the material. "I am a former workaholic myself"

"Really? From all the tabloids in Star City, I would say you play more than you work" I sneered.

"The tabloids lie, you of all people should know that" I took in a breath, he caught himself and sighed.  "I didn't mean that"

"What? You didn't mean to reference the tabloids exposing Oliver cheating on me with my sister, or the fact my sister died because of them, or because the tabloids accused my father of planting evidence?" I growled, "Why wouldn't you?"

I stormed back into the house, making my way up to the spare bedroom where Alex was letting me get ready for the party. I'll show that playboy...