chapter 4

I wake up in a hopsital bed with an I. V. cord straped to my arm and a heart montior making this annoying beeping sound in my ear. There was a bandages on my left arm where I cut myself.

I see flowers and teddy bears and get well soon balloons at the foot of the bed. I was so confused

"Hey, sweetheart how you feeling?" My Grandma sat in the chair next to me.

She looked horrible and tired. Her gray hair was all over the place, she had rain boots on in 86 degree Arizona weather.

"I was so worried . . . Why would you do that to yourself?" Tear filled her eyes, searching for answers.

"How long have I been here?"

"2 weeks."

"Am I. . . You know . . . "

"Ooh . . . umm. . . No . . . your not. They checked your blood and drained everything out of your system and they checked to see if you were pregnant since it has been two weeks and the result cam out negative" sending me a smile

I was so relieved. I thanked God that I wasn't pregnant, but if I was I would still take care of my child reguardless.

"So . . . What's all this?"

"Ooh this was from neighbors near by, couple of friends of yours and that kid Adrian, you told me about sent you a gift."

Friends. I have no friends . But my heart dropped when she said Adrian sent me a gift. My stomach was going flips.

And then the images came in.

Me.

His friends.

Katherine.

My brother.

I felt sick to my stomach. When my grandma gave me the box, I gave it back to her.

"No . . . I don't want it." Grandma looked confused.

"sweetheart, i know your-"

"No. I DO NOT WANT IT. ANY OF IT." I threw all the gifts on the floor and turn my head away from her. She sighed and open the box.

"Well, atleast look inside of it before you threw it away." She got up and left the room.

I wished things were different for me. My family would actually be proud of the intelligent woman I'm becoming. My brother would protect me from any guy or anyone that tried to harm me. But my family was the complete opposite.

16 years of my life was torture to me.

I stare at the bold brown box laying on top of my thigh. I finally get the courage to open It. There was a little black box inside. I took a deep breathe and opened it . It was a locket but not just any locket. Amethyst and square marcasite locket pendant necklace, with hints of vintage styling, Sterling silver necklace.

Why would adrian buy me an expensive gift? I opened the locket and out came a note. I looked inside the locket and I see a picture of me and him.

I remember this. A year ago, it was the first and only time we took a picture togather just for the school yearbook thing. I laughed at my face as my nose was red as ever.

I was going to open the note when my grandma came in. I out the note back inside the locket quickly and hid the locket under my covers .

"sweetheart, your parents wanted to see you. "

"Umm. . grandma can you be here with me please . . . didn't want anything to."

"Don't worry I'll be right with you." She closed the door behind her.

A few minutes later, my mother and my dad came in with my brother. My parent were in their work suits as usual. And my brother looked uninterested to be here.

People say iIlook like my mother from my eyes to my toes. But I had my father's hair. Corey looked just like dad expect he had mom's hair and her brown eyes.

My grandmother sat right next to me and held my hand.

My mother sat down on the chair across the room and began to fix her make-up "So how you feeling?"

"Fine" I was uninterested in the conversation.

"Your such a whore " my dad spit out in angryly.

my grandmother was about to say something but I squeezed her hand to tell her not to speak a word.

"Go on. Tell me . . . tell me everything that you think of me" My dad stood there with rage in his eyes .

I was back talking him and disrespecting him in his eyes.

" DON'T YOU DARE TALK BACK TO ME LIKE THAT! Your a thifty slut. You and your unborn child"

"She's not pregnant!" my grandma yelled.

"And I thank god for that, but because of your son-" my grandma eyes turned into slits

" My son had nothing to do with this little bitch's actions " My mother was outraged

"WORD! I did nothing to get this bitch fucking around with men and getting pregnant."

"It was his friend-"

"Thats enough." I can't take the sight of them any more.

"Excuse me you don-"

"Get out." I needed them out of here.

"How dar-"

I sat up on the bed "I SAID GET OUT! " Iscreamed and I pushed the secruity button.

"You can't do that!" My brother was cursing at me.

The secruity gruards came in. "Is there a problem?"

"Yes can you please make sure none of them came back to the hospital permentally. I do not wish to see or hear them until I am out of this hospital bed."

The secruity guards escorted my family out. "See you at home, bitch." My mother throwing me a warning.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3 days after, I was released from the hospital. Then everything went down for me. I was getting beaten with eveything they could get there hands on. Brooms, pands sticks, metal poles, and cable wires. Everything. For 3 wole days.

They sent me to school with bruises all over my body. But I wouldn't give up, I'm tired of being treated like this. I'm tired of all of this shit.

"Hey, Sophia welcome back " Katherine gave me a painful hug. My body was still healing from the previous abuse.

"Thanks." I tried to keep my head down. I haven't said much since I've been here.

Katherine went talking about something, but my mind was somewhere else. I still had all my presents people sent me from the hospital.

I sat in the black of my physics class thinking. I don't have to put up with this. I really don't, I know what I have to do now. Three more weeks and then school was over for me. Summer was near.

I don't have to live like this. I can be free.