SEVEN

2074

Alexander sighed, breathing in the fresh clean air of the countryside. It wasn't as nice as it had been as a kid, pollution having spread everywhere over the long years of his life, but it was far nicer than anything he breathed in in the huge megacities he was used to living in.

He'd been in the country for roughly a year, having taken a sabbatical. He worked as a farmhand, which was exhausting, but far more relaxing than a stressful office job. The CEO job had stressed him out too much and he needed a break from it all, not just the job, but the city as well. They were growing too cramped, too busy, and it was only stressing him out more.

It was his day off and he'd decided to go into the small town nearby with a couple of the other farmhands and his boss's son. None of them really knew who he was, for which he was grateful for. He'd congratulated himself a few times over the last year for not really wanting to make many tv appearances, all they wanted to talk about was how old he was.

He hadn't told his new friends his real age either, having learned very quickly since Philip died that new people would only give him pity when he told them he was over a hundred. Instead, he told his newest friend that he was thirty-five and hadn't found his soulmate yet. For him, it was refreshing to not be seen as lonely or someone to pity but seen as just like everyone else.

"You good, mate?" a man, Isaac, asked with a laugh.

"Yeah," Alexander replied. "It's just... Really nice out here."

"Still used to that big city air, huh?"

"I guess so," he said. "My grandparents used to live in a small town, and I used to visit them when I was a kid. Forgot how nice it was."

"You'll get used to it," Isaac started. "Then you'll move back to the big city and miss it like crazy. That's what usually happens."

"I'm not surprised, this place is amazing," Alex said wistfully. "Anyone would miss it."

They were waiting for one of Isaac's friends, Amelia, to come and pick them up. They sat on the steps of the porch, staring out at the driveway. The ranch he stayed in with Isaac and his family was nice and cosy, something different to what Alex was used to. He stayed in a small room with light green walls and a single bed, and he loved it. He hadn't brought much stuff with him, just clothes and a few of his favourite books. He'd figured he would be extremely busy on the farm and wouldn't have much time to do anything else.

A car rumbled up the dirt driveway, kicking up dust as it went. Amelia waved and honked the horn, a huge grin on her face. Alexander caught sight of one of her many friends in the passenger seat, someone by the name of Lucy if he remembered correctly. He and Isaac stood and waved back, making their way over to the car when it slowed to a stop.

"Hi Alex," Amelia said cheerily as he opened the door of the car. "I'm assuming Isaac hasn't told you what we're doing today?"

"Nope, but I'm not surprised," Alex replied, strapping himself into the seat. Isaac had a strange habit of never telling anyone what the plans were for any outing. All he had told him was that they were going out for dinner and drinks with friends. He didn't know where they were going or who they were going with.

"Of course not. Give me a second," she said. Alexander waited while Amelia programmed in the address for the restaurant into the car's computer and pressed a button, the two front seats swiveling around to face the back. The engine started, the autopilot kicking in and the car slowly making its way back down the dirt driveway. "We're meeting a few of my friends and Isaac's for dinner to celebrate the return of Isaac's best mate, Jaden."