Chapter 2

Halfway along the footpath Aaron pushed himself up onto a mini wall and sat there, playing a game on his phone. He felt someone budge him and an arm leaning on his shoulder.

"We really should be at school."

Aaron put his phone in his pocket and looked at the girl beside him.

She was a tanned teenager with brown hair which flowed down to the middle of her back and a pair of blue eyes on her oval shaped face.

"What's the point? Your parents are abroad, my dad will ground me, but who cares about that? Coming to town?" He got off the wall and stopped to wait for her. She hesitated for a moment.

"Come on Esme, you know you want to. I promise I'll give you credit for anything you steal."

Esme grinned and ran towards him, only stopping when she was level with him.

In town, Aaron and Esme sat in a café with a cup of cocoa each. It wasn't very busy due to most children being at school and most adult being at work. The few who were there were either unemployed or on holiday.

"What do you think of daylight robbery?" Esme asked in a hushed tone.

"I think it's a good idea," Aaron replied before taking a sip of his drink.

"Yeah but what about your dad. Won't he go absolutely bonkers?"

Aaron frowned, "How's he gonna find out?"

"He's bloody physic. He always knows what we have and haven't done."

"Only if we act suspiciously," Aaron pointed out. He noted Esme's disbelieving look. "Listen, all we have to do it distract mister bike seller, nick two bikes and get to the BMX park with no one noticing-well no one important anyway."

"Your dad will know it's us. Even if we deny it, he'll do that 'Don't lie to me' thing and we'll get rumbled."

Aaron stood up, "Look girl, if you want to lead a boring and dull life, you go ahead. That's your loss. I, however, am going to go catch myself a free bike." He walked out.

Esme longed after him, then got up and ran after him.

Aaron was already way ahead of her and was eagerly looking at the bike shop, rubbing his hands together absentmindedly. Esme was sure if he rubbed them any faster they'd burst into flames and he wouldn't be able to steal anything. As she caught up with him she noticed a sign in the shop saying 'New £3,000 bike for sale. Get it today before stocks run out.' There was another sign that was written in big white letters: 'NO HENO'S ALLOWED.'

She nudged Aaron with her elbow. "It's says you aren't allowed in there."

Aaron shrugged, "I have the perfect excuse of being illiterate."

"Dyslexia isn't being illiterate. You're not stupid and I won't have you saying you are," she snapped at him. Esme knew she'd got to him.

"If I'm illiterate, it means it can be cured, " Aaron stuck his hands in his pocket, "The other can't and I don't like the thought of that. You've put a real downer on me now." He walked away while staring down.

Esme followed him, "I'm sorry. It just came out. You know I can't bite my tongue, I think I get off my mum." She ran to catch up with him. That's when she noticed he had stopped and was staring at something on the other side of the road. She also looked to see what was so interesting, "Is there an unattended shop?" She asked with a bit of a nervous laugh towards her boyfriends strange behaviour. Eventually her eyes landed on a hooded figure, glaring back at her and Aaron. A chill bolted down her spine. There was definitely something about him that gave her the creeps, though she couldn't put her finger on it, "Aaron who is that?"