thirty five

"You're useless."

"But Kit-"

"Maybe you should try actually reading the book next time?" Kit rose his brows disapprovingly.

Quinn pouted and crawled a little closer. They were already squashed up on the bed they were sharing, their thighs and elbows brushing together. "Can't you just tell me what it's about? This essay's due tomorrow and I don't even know the bloody story."

"It's about a girl meeting an obnoxious twat who turns out to actually be alright. Okay?"

"Kit-"

"Just because you're in Oakleaf and not some fancy prep school, it doesn't mean you should just quit trying."

Quinn snorted, "Who are you? My Dad?"

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?" Kit slid his arm around Quinn's waist and pulled him closer, their lips meeting in a brief, flirtatious kiss before Kit yanked his body away. "Now do your essay."

"Oh c'mon, baby, give me a little more information."

Kit sighed heavily and pulled his boyfriend into his lap. "So, it all starts at this dance, right? This middle class girl overhears this upper class guy talking about how he wouldn't dance with someone like her. He represents pride, she represents prejudice. Hence, 'Pride and Prejudice'. Straight forward enough."

"That's it?"

Kit laughed in amusement and shook his head, "A shit ton of stuff happens. A couple of proposals later and they finally get married." He explained. "You can look at my notes, Quinny, but only if you promise to actually read the book at some point."

"I swear." He lied.

Kit rose his brows, immune to his boyfriend's lies. "Promise?"

Quinn rolled his eyes, "Yes."

Benji stood outside his room, leant up against the door frame. He could hear muffled voices and flirtatious laughs. The sound of fabric ruffling and lips merging. He sighed in defeat as he came to the conclusion that he couldn't interrupt the pair of lovers. So, instead, headed for his friend's dorm.

He hadn't seen Lucky much over the past couple of days. He had been keeping to himself and eating his meals at different times, almost as if he was intentionally avoiding Benji. But that was impossible, the Pup thought. He hadn't done anything wrong. Had he? As his mind flooded with theories of how he might have upset his friend, guilt settled over his body. He had been so busy running the library that he hadn't even had any time to check up on him. In the space of a few short seconds, Benji suddenly felt like the worst friend ever.

He knocked softly on the door, taking a deep breath, preparing himself to apologise for whatever he had done to upset his best friend. When he received no answer, he knocked once more. Still no answer. He knocked again. Silence.

Cautiously, he wrapped his fingers around the doorknob and twisted it. He wasn't expecting it to even be unlocked, so was surprised when the hinges creaked and the door pushed open. He scanned the room with his sharp eyes, his face paling.

Lucky wasn't there.

But Sebastian was.

He was laying unconscious on the floor with a needle discarded beside him and a tourniquet wrapped around his upper arm.