Chapter 25

Weighed down

The train had been late. The pair of women, one an aged brunette and the other a youthful blonde. Ella stood the extra thirty minutes shivering on the cold concrete platform. Her damp hair had dissolved to lose waves that were tucked tightly behind her ears. Her still too thin body quaked under the harsh breeze that blew. Polly hadn't expected the Shelby boys to let the two run off on their own and no doubt was expecting to see a Peaky Blinder soon. The aunt's eyes never focussed on a spot for too long, instead sweeping up and down the station platform not only for a group of boys but out of the unescapable boredom. A metallic shriek rings through the air, piercing through the once windy silence. The sound drowning on until a train came to stop before them. Ella watched as it stood with its unwelcoming iron grill and dark metal appearance. It released a loud chuff with its exhaust and the doors reluctantly opened with a sticky hesitance. The officer guarding the doors declared for tickets despite the clear audience of less than ten that had come to board the train. After handing over both her own and Pol's ticket, the two took a seat facing London.

By the time they arrived in the city, darkness had arrived, and the streets had almost turned to fog. Pol tracked down a taxi while Ella stood in nervousness at the sight of London streets where she promised herself to never return. Someone clutched at her right hand and gave her a tug. Ella span in shock to meet the one woman that had helped her so much in the last few months. Her surprise faded into a small smile as she let Polly Gray drag her into a black glossy taxi that was no doubt heading for Ada's townhouse.

Ella couldn't even remember the trip from the station but suddenly she was stood before a deep blue door with a brass door handle and matching door-knocker. The stone doorstep looked clean, a contrast to the entrances in Small Heath. It seemed to Ella as though it took seconds after Polly rapped on the wood, for the blue door to swing open.

The tired brunette before the duo looked nothing like the normal, fierce and strong Ada. Her face had sunken back into her bones. Dark bags had appeared under her exhausted and pleading eyes. It seems as if she had truly aged in the small time, they had been apart. As if on cue a quiet wail rose in the air that tore through Polly's heart. The Aunt pushed pull in search of the baby in pain while Ada fell into the arms of blonde who had quickly became her best friend. By the time that Ella shuffled the mother onto the couch in a comforting embrace, Polly had brought the sick child to them.

"Ada as soon as morning comes, we have to go to the hospital." Polly ordered. But the mother stared with worry at the baby in her Aunts bag. Polly continued in a prompt tone, "Go back a bag Ada. Now."

The tired mother sprang from her seat and rushed into an adjacent room, almost relieved to be told what to do after days of panic.

Little Karl was placed into Ella's young and unexperienced arms, the baby lulled and stopped its loud screaming. His brown eyes opened to meet her blue hues. His small mouth opened into a giggle which quickly turned into a chocked cough that had Ella pulling his upright and close to her. Polly watched on as the young Blinder clutched the small child and couldn't help but imagine how perfect she would be as a mother to her own grandchildren. After all she wasn't oblivious to the stares that they trade or their banter. Through conversations with Ada, Linda and Esme she had heard of their almost sudden romance. And the aged Gray couldn't be anymore pleased with his selection, she might be just what he needed to pull him onto the straight and steady. But Thomas seemed to have opposed plans – instead he was almost certain that Ella was the type of girl that Michael needed when he stepped down. While he hadn't voiced those plans it was clear that his brothers also saw the potential in the two as the next leaders. But it seemed to Tommy that the more he exposed her to the less interested she became. But to the young blonde, the Shelby family and Peaky Blinders were the closest to family that she had ever had and while her involvement in all they do is driven by a deep excitement and thrill, she struggled to understand a future for herself that didn't include her own funeral.

Time moved quickly in Ada Thornes home, between the desperate cries of little Karl and Ada's worries. Polly had taken charge of the situation as she always does. It was a shame that she never really had the chance to be a mother, her children being taken from her – only to have one return later. A certain son of hers that seemed to be on Ella's mind often. As the sun made its debut around the globe coming back to London for a gloomy and dark day, Ella thought of the way Michael's lips feel against hers and the way he would walk with her; his soft and gentle nature but protective and ruthless defence. But most of all she thought of his calculating eyes and the way one stare from him could have Ella melted to putty in his lap. It was becoming harder for Ella to want to leave, even when the boys do obvious wrong. In a way he was the only thing tying her to the streets of Small Heath.

"Ella honey let's go. Grab the bag will you." Polly's voice rang through the silent apartment. The blonde scrambled to grab the bag that was packed the evening before and before she could take more than two steps, Ada had her arms wrapped tightly around Ella's arm like a frightened child in need of reassurance. It was in that moment, Ella realised it wasn't just Michael rooting her to the dirty streets of Birmingham.

The blue wooden door was heavily swung open with a sense of urgency by Poly - who clasped the crying Karl to herself - to reveal five peaky caps, five suit coats. And five bloody Shelby boys.

A/N:

Hi Guys,

So I am so absolutely excited for the next chapter! This one was a filler chapter (booooo) but oh well you've got to have them from time to time!

Please don't forget to Vote and Comment! You guys know how much I love replying!

-A