15 - The Mining Town

Vanessa was the queen's second cousin, twice removed.

Of course Martin was surprised. But Alo had been more surprised, because he thought that that meant that Vanessa was around 68. Martin had had to explain that "twice removed" meant there was a two-generation difference. 

Once it was made clear that Vanessa was not around 68, and was rather 19, too, Alo exhaled and returned to flirting. The conversation moved to age, and Martin was surprised to discover that Frances was simultaneously the youngest (at 18) and most threatening out of the four of them. It was weird how the world worked.

So the conversation never really died; Alo and Vanessa wouldn't stop talking. Vanessa would talk about her life in Britain, Alo would talk about life in Gasche, Martin would synthesize the ideas, and Frances would interject every now and then, usually with a snide remark.

Martin sensed that Frances may have even been starting to like him. Only the previous day had she almost killed him. And Martin didn't find her so bad, either. She was driving, for one. She actually liked some things (though mainly guns), and she actually cared about some things (mostly family). Yet she didn't go into depth about her relatives; Alo was the only one Martin knew of.

She still remained rather enigmatic; anytime Alo was about to bring up something that involved her, like the time he blew up a schoolhouse classroom (and she had abetted him), Frances silenced him. 

Things carried on this way until they reached a sign that read "Lawrencetown -- Mining to rock bottom to take us to the top!"

"Ah, a mining town," Vanessa said as she waved a hand fan at herself . "How quaint." Martin heard Alo grunt and knew that he was wondering what quaint meant. Yet he didn't bother telling him.

Frances began to drive much slower, and the car moved at a near crawl. The town was a dark silhouette in front of a backdrop of orange, and the sun was cautiously dipping between two rather jagged mountains. 

All that could be heard was the purring of the car engine and the dust bouncing along the empty streets, the wind dancing past, carrying the scent of rocks along with it.

Nobody said a word as they entered the town, not even Alo. Martin was impressed.

The buildings were all shabby, and the streets were empty, essentially devoid of life. Eventually, Frances parked the car on the side of the road and hopped out. "Take your car back," she said brusquely.

Vanessa stepped out too, moving daintily. It was so out of place. She didn't really fit here in the West, the way she moved and all.

"Actually..." she began. Frances stopped and turned around to face her, hands on her hips.

"Actually what?"

Martin approached her. "Actually, maybe you should say 'thank you'."

Frances gave him a look, and his mouth was shut.

Now it was Alo's turn. He sidled up next to her, the sack hoisted over his shoulder. "What's wrong?"

Vanessa looked up. "Well, you see... I don't think I should go yet."

So Alo had won her over? Was that it?

Frances jerked her head up. "What?"

"I mean... Martin hasn't taught me enough about Mazium."

Martin looked between the two girls confusedly. "Not enough? Well, what else would you like to know?"

Vanessa stuck up her chin. "Exactly. The fact that there is something else I can learn proves that you haven't taught me everything about it." Alo nodded along.