~ 38 ~

"He wouldn't even consider terms," King Azure said; he, Emberhand, Auro and Aleia were in the Pavillion, looking at a map of the area in which they stood. "I'm surprised he let the girl go at all."

"Better here than there," Aleia said, clearing her throat. "And Abrus would've come as well. But he sent me his thoughts. We need someone on that side. When the battle grows beyond our control, a warlock like Abrus would be just what we need."

"But how do you know he can even be trusted?" her father asked, crossing his arms.

"Because he put Purety's life above his own. He doesn't know if he will even survive this, but he made sure that she does."

"It could be a trap," Auro added cautiously.

Aleia sighed, "I know, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. When does the battle start?"

The King sighed and glanced over his shoulder, looking out to where his army waited.

"Anaemis will make the first blow."

***

The hours went by. The war had yet to begin. Inanis and Kinasha sat together by a fire. Spiris, Lumen, and Soile were with them. Stratos was lounging on the ground nearby.

"Aleia made a bold move," Lumen said quietly. "Letting that young girl into our camp."

"If she could prevent someone's death," Inanis replied, "she would take the chance. I suppose it's only right that the Prophecy was about her."

"And if it was a mistake?" Kinasha asked in a small voice.

No one wanted to answer that question. Ronell came along, dressed in the common soldier garb. This set of armor has a coif with half a squared face guard reaching just below the eyes, with two squared openings for the eyes. Attached to the top is a metal, mohawk-like ornament with long, colored hair attached to it.

The shoulders are oval, tall and small in size. They're decorated with a masterfully crafted leather face on each side. Both faces are blindfolded with a piece of colored cloth.

The upper arms are protected by pointed, half covering rerebraces which sit well under the shoulder plates. The lower arms are covered by vambraces which have several rows of barb-like spikes on the outer sides.

The breastplate is made from many circular layers of leather with rounded edges and decoration pieces. It covers everything from the neck down and ending at the groin, but there's a fairly wide neckline which is somewhat exposed.

The upper legs are covered by a skirt of circular layers of leather and fur reaching below the groin. The lower legs are protected by leather boots which have intricate gilded design patterns covering everything. Thin cloth pants are worn beneath all this.

"Has anyone seen Ruperto?" he asked, crouching near the fire. "I can't find him."

"I'm right here."

The boy stepped into the light as he removed a large cloak.

"I've been standing right there the whole time," he said, joining his twin by the fire. "Arcano said it was some sort of invisibility cloak."

"Let me see."

Ruperto Flung the garment over Ronell. He disappeared. The group erupted with laughter. Ronell, pushed the cloak off, returning to everyone's vision.

"Cool," he said, covering his hand with the fabric. "So, I get to fight, and you get to hide?"

"Pretty much," Ruperto replied, deflated. "But I'm sure I'll be of some help, somewhere. I can help Aurora with the injured."

"And your help is greatly appreciated," Lumen said, slapping him on the back as if they were old friends.

***

Twileigh sighed as she watched the group from the shadows. Inanis and Spiris especially. She wished she could tell them everything. But now wasn't the time. Twileigh needed to take control of her gift. And then, she would enter the battle and help her future queen. She was indebted to Aleia for her help.

***

First light. Aleia had grown to love her mornings in Anerathia. It was beautiful. She pulled her new cloak over her shoulders and watched her reflection in the water bucket. And then she smiled. A head of silver hair popped up behind her. Auro grinned and locked his arms around Aleia's waist.

"Good morning," he said, planting a kiss on her cheek. "Sleep well?"

"As well as I could," she replied, shrugging. "It starts today."

"Yes, but we have each other. We have armies at the ready. And we have the best-trained warlocks in all of the Aemienix. There may be casualties, but in the end, you and I will survive this. Trust me?"

"I've learned to trust you with everything since being here."

Auro held her tight. Aleia's hair was pulled back in tradition Anerathian style. A simple bun at the top of her head, with wisps of her hair tied in blue and purple beads.

"Anerathia suits you," Auro whispered, stealing a kiss.

Aleia giggled and gently pushed him away. Her father appeared and asked for a moment alone. Auro smiled and went to go find everyone else.

"Aleia," Emberhand began, sighing as he shook out his head.

"It's okay, Dad," she said, smiling as she touched his arm. "I know. You wanted to keep me away from all this. You've protected me all you can. I'm part of something much bigger than becoming a personal servant to Susanna. Don't worry about me."

To emphasize her point, Aleia snapped her fingers to conjure a flame. Emberhand chuckled and snapped his own fingers. His own flame mingled with her, only it was easy to distinguish one flame from the other. Aleia's flame was red, young and fierce. Her father's flames were older, paler and more the color of ash.

"Don't let anyone put out your flame," he said as the extinguished their fire. "Ever. Not even Auro. Do you understand?"

"Yes father," Aleia replied, nodding and smiling. "We should totally have a battle of the flames when this is over."

"Save the date, sweetheart. We'll be doing more than battling flames."