~ 1 ~

Before I let you read to your heart's content, I want to give a special shout-out to Demi ( Miss_Sarcastic27 ) for the brilliant cover art! Go check out her portfolio/shop and prepare to be amazed!

***********************************************

Aleia walked the streets of her town with a purpose. If she was late again, her stepmother would give her another endless list of chores. Today, alone, Aleia had taken all four cars to be cleaned and waxed. She cleaned the French windows, mopped all the floors, made breakfast for her stepmother and step-brothers, as well as walked their massive dogs; two Great Danes called Athena and Apollo. Aleia enjoyed walking the dogs. In fact, the reason she enjoyed being with them so much was that of how her father had given them to her stepbrothers. Her one problem with the dogs were their owners. Ronell and Ruperto liked to tease Aleia whenever they caught her talking to the dogs.

"She talks to animals!"

"Poor girl has no friends, she talks to everything that breathes!"

Aleia had learned to ignore their teasing. Handsome they might be, but smart they were not. It was a piece of cake to turn the boys' attention on something else. Despite their idiotic behaviors and stupid brains, Aleia could not blame them for everything. Her stepmother was a hard woman to live with. How Aleia's father managed to tolerate the woman, she would never know.

Aleia's father was often away on business and could be gone for weeks at a time. He was an older man, but still in his prime years. Everyone loved and respected him. Aleia's father had a major influence in their town and whenever he offered advice, no one questioned him. Aleia admired her father and aspired to be like him. Hardworking and dignified.

Aleia's phone rang and she hesitated, knowing her stepmother was calling with complaints. She brought her phone from her pocket and stared at the screen. Her stepmother's scowl greeted her, daring her to ignore the call. Heaving a sigh, Aleia slid her thumb across the screen and winced as she held the phone to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Where are you, young lady?" her stepmother, Susanna, screeched on the other end. "You should have been back by now!"

"I'm nearly there," Aleia tried to sound remorseful, hoping her stepmother would lighten her tone. "I'm only a block away from the house."

"The school is only twenty minutes away! Why are you late?! I have guests coming here within the hour!"

Aleia sighed and began sprinting, her stepmother shouting over the phone. Aleia knew that if she let her stepmother release all of her frustration, she would not have to worry about extra chores.

"Aleia," her stepmother's tone suddenly grew softer. "Be a dear and hurry home. Oh! Hello darling!"

Aleia let out a gentle gasp when she heard the male voice on the other end. Aleia broke into a run. Her house came into view, and she thought of nothing else, except getting there. Aleia grinned when she saw the Mercedes in the driveway and ran to the front door, which was open. Dropping her backpack on the floor, Aleia squealed when her father caught her in his arms.

"My sweet girl!" Peter exclaimed, holding his daughter close to his chest. "How are you, my girl?"

"Exhausted, but glad to see you!" Aleia replied, wrapping her arms around her father's waist. "How long are you home for?"

"Just through the weekend, I'm afraid. I have a client I simply cannot be away for too long."

Aleia frowned with disappointment, but she nodded and pulled away. Her father gave her nose a tug and turned to smile at Ronell and Ruperto.