Chapter Twenty-Two

Jaime’s POV

Ellie had left no explanation, really. I couldn’t believe this was happening. She had said she would have killed me if I stayed. That she was having nightmares and that the rape was too hard to talk about. All if our conversation was going through my mind.

We were all sitting in the living room, wondering what to do. Charley was a wreck; Ellie was literally a sister to her. No one could think of what to say, not even Tony.  Vic had called Kellin and Kellin contacted Ellie, with any luck we do not know. As if on cue, the front door opened. Kellin walked in to lounge, his face made me more worried. He coughed and fiddled with his phone.

 “I-I got in touch with her.” Everyone looked at him longingly. “She sent me a message.” He found it on his phone and read it out. His voice was quiet. “The thought of death had always scared me, but now I’m ok with it.” He swallowed and took a deep breath. My face fell when I realised what she was going to do. This was my entire fault, I should have talked to her earlier but she seemed so happy and recovered. “She’s gunna commit suicide.” Charley whimpered. Vic consoled her. I stood up, tears blurring my vision.

“We’ve got to find her.” I stuttered. Vic stood up leaving Charley in Mike’s arms with Bekka. Tony stood as well.

“Vic, Jaime and Tony you coming?” We all nodded. “Mike stay here and do something. Get Nic and Jake.” Kellin whispered. Kellin signalled to follow him. Vic put his arm around my shoulder and led me out to Tony’s truck.

I was silent the whole drive, like everyone. What was Ellie playing at? This was so hard to handle. You never realise these things are so epic until they hit home. Until it affected you or the ones you love. This could be the end, but I hoped it wasn’t I really did. I should have seen this coming, I should have done something. If anything happens to Ellie, it’s all my fault.

The sun shone, but I didn’t feel the warmth off it. We got there and there was a crowd forming round the back. Was she going to jump? Kellin took the lead. Tony followed and me and Vic were behind, not being able to go any faster. She was so important to me and I had already almost lost her so this made it harder. Kellin got to the reception and asked where she was.

“Where is Elliot Skye’d?” A sense of urgency in his voice made me shiver. The receptionist looked up and smiled.

“We cannot give out that information, unless you have proof that you know her.” The receptionist said, still smiling. I pushed forward and took my phone out.

“I’m her boyfriend!” I didn’t know if I could still be called her boyfriend or not.  I showed her a picture of us together. It was on her birthday this year. We had gone to Las Vegas for the weekend. We had so much fun. The picture was outside on the street with all the lights and neon signs in the background. After I lost a few games Ellie didn’t let me play but when she hit the poker table we won three games. Not sure how but I presume she’s just lucky. The receptionist smiled and nodded.

“She is in room 502. Would you like a key?” I nodded she handed me a key and I ran to the stairs. Everyone followed.

“Why we taking the stairs?” Tony asked. I shook my head. Elevators took forever, they stop on most floors and when they do more and more people want to come in so it gets overcrowded and hot.

“Elevators are slow.” I said simply. There wasn’t much point in explaining it all. I ran up the stairs and by the time I got to the fifth floor I was out of breath, so were the others. My mind was racing, what if Ellie had already killed herself, what if she did just as we walked in and we couldn’t do anything, what if she had left this hotel and gone somewhere else to do it. All these thoughts made me dizzy.

“Next time, can we take the elevator?” Vic asked, catching his breath. Kellin coughed, also catching his breath. The only fit one here was Tony, who went out on runs with Ellie.

There in front of me was room 502. Inside I hoped was still Ellie, alive. If she wasn’t then I will join her. I didn’t care, that was what had to happen. But I wasn’t ready for it.

“Come on Jaime!” Kellin urged me to get on with it. I slid the key in the door it beeped and I took the handle. The sight I was greeted with was Ellie standing on the ledge of the balcony. She hadn’t heard us. She was standing there, smiling. Had she gone crazy? My eyes filled with tears, she was serious. I could witness the death of my own girlfriend. Vic stood by the door making sure she could get out if she backed down until we had talked. The wind was winding through her hair, she was still smiling. She looked free and content. It was the first time I had seen her like that ever. That was what she was like before, I presumed. A free girl who didn’t have a care in the world, a girl who didn’t care what society thought of her. She was beautiful like that. Ellie’s eyes opened as if she could feel someone approaching. Kellin had walked to the sofa, which was near the balcony door. She turned her head and her eyes widened. Her mouth hung open. I just stared at her, my eyes filling with more tears; I wasn’t sure when they were going to flow. Her mouth moved saying the word ‘sorry’, she looked at me and for the first time I saw her being the scared girl she had been hiding.  She turned her head back and looked down. Her fists clenched and un-clenched. Her shoes had been taken off and placed on the patio, so she was standing bare footed. She was going to do it; she was going to fricking do it!

Kellin’s gaze met mine, he knew what to do. Tony stood there silently; this was hard for all of us. Vic steadied himself on the door. He took deep breaths, I did the same. Whenever Ellie was in trouble I had told her to breathe, it actually works. I ran a hand through my hair, letting out a few tears.

 Ellie lifted a foot off the ledge. I held my breath and felt like I was going to break down. Kellin made his move as Ellie was going. He had to be fast. I heard her whimper. I couldn’t believe it; she had jumped with all of us standing there. I didn’t know if he had caught her. My hand went over my mouth. She had jumped. She really wanted it. Vic gasped. Down below the people gasped as well. Tony however stood there motionless. She struggled in Kellin’s arms, as he lifted her back over the ledge. I let out the breath I was holding as I saw her come over the top. I rushed over to help Kellin. He placed her in my arms. She was crying her eyes out in to my chest. I only just realised how thin and bony she was. All the mornings in the lounge, she had never eaten and at meal times she had only a small bit. I never realised but now wasn’t the time to ask. I sighed and held her there for a few minutes.

 As I walked over to the sofa, Kellin shut the balcony doors and stood there like Vic was. He ran a hand through his hair and took a deep breath, leaning against the wall. I placed Ellie on the floor, knelt beside her. This could have been the end. But it wasn’t Jaime, I told myself. She grabbed my tee with her hands. Her grip was strong, it was like she never wanted to let go. I stroked her hair with my hand. Her eyes were still full of tears like mine.

“Promise me you’ll make this better!?” Her voice was high pitched and her eyes were wide. Just looking at her made me think of a crazy person. How could I judge like that? She was desperate. “Promise me you’ll help!” I nodded. She wasn’t convinced. “I need you!” She said. My tears finally fell. I smiled to her, for comfort, and I wiped under my eyes.

“I promise!” Her face cracked as she started to cry again, making her make-up run even more. She didn’t need make-up. Her grip loosened as she put her arms around my neck. I pulled her in to a tight her, never wanting her to let go. She cried in to my shoulder. She knew I wouldn’t leave, none of us would. For a moment it felt like it was just us in the room, no one else.

“I am so sorry.” She whispered. I pulled her away, so I could look her in the eye. Vic had sat on the sofa and Tony was where he was before. She didn’t need to be sorry. Not now not ever.

“Ellie, I’m the one who should be sorry.” I said. She looked me deep in the eyes. They were beautiful eyes that should never be lost.  A very pale blue, nearly white. She managed a small smile, but it was fleeting. Vic spoke up.

“I think we should be getting out of here.” I nodded. Kellin got off the wall and went to the door, he seemed like he hadn’t been able to save her. But he had. Maybe he thought he had lost Ellie forever. He knew Ellie longer than anyone of us. He knew what she was like before. I looked at the time. We had been here for about an hour. It felt like minutes, but they were important minutes. Pulling Ellie to her feet, I smiled at her. She was beautiful. No matter what.