32

"I don't trust this." I mutter to Barry, in the hall that leads to the cortex, him in his suit, but his mask off, as he looked down at me. "Don't trust what?"

"I don't trust this idea-" I finally speak my opinion, my hand going through my hair, my stress basically radiating off of me, "I have a really bad feeling that; something horrible is going to happen."

"It'll be fine." Barry says, putting a strand of my hair behind my ear, "Don't stress it. This will work. I just want you to stay here with Iris, Cisco and Caitlin. You're safer here."

"Maybe you shouldn't do this." I try to stop him from doing this, "We can't go through with this. Something could happen to Linda-" I pause, looking up at him, my voice going quiet, "Something could happen to you."

He's with Patty. He literally went on a date with her yesterday.

I mentally curse at myself for being so soft and weak in front of him, as he stares at me, not breaking eye contact, "I'll make sure nothing happens to Linda. I'll be okay."

"I don't want anything to happen to you, Barry. This really isn't safe- I don't think-" But he cuts me off, a small chuckle leaving his lips, "Since when is anything I do safe?"

I huff, giving him a look. "I have a horrible feeling something bad will happen. Please- just don't do it."

"Hey-" He says, grabbing my waist lightly, gently pulling me into him, his arms around around me, hugging me tight.

I hug onto him, looking up at him. He was already looking down at me, as he starts to lean down, his lips inches away from mine.

Right before his lips touch mine, I step back, slipping away from his grip, a small huff leaving my lips. "What're you doing to me?" I ask, almost upset.

"What're you talking about?" Barry asks, his voice low.

"You're with Patty- and you're trying to kiss me." I say, my arms dramatically going up in the air, this increasing my stress. He goes silent as if he wanted to admit something but wouldn't. I sigh, shaking my head, looking at him. "Just- stay safe." I end the conversation before walking into the cortex, by Iris, Caitlin and Cisco.

Before I knew it, Barry had his mask on and was already out.

A few minutes in, they were already acting out everything we had staged, and I could find myself giggling uncontrollably again at how this looked and sounded.

I hear Barry mutter into the intercom after pressing onto his ear piece, "As much as I love hearing you laugh, I can't focus with you laughing in my ear."

My hands slap over my mouth, a small gasp leaving my mouth, forgetting he could hear me for a second. "Oh- right. Sorry- you do you."

Cisco holds back a laugh as Iris gives me a look.

I'm probably going to be talking to her about this later.

We listened and watched it go down, then sat there in silence as we awaited for Zoom's arrival. He never showed.

We were sat there for an hour, a huff leaving my lips at this failure. Iris' hand goes to my shoulder, as I was seated in one of the chairs.

Barry gives up, getting up, as everyone lays down their weapons.

I sat in my chair, another huff leaving my lips as a small yawn follows after, showing that I was tired. I honestly wanted to just go home and take a nap. One that I'd never wake up from, so I didn't have to deal with Barry's mixed feelings, and Zoom- and Jay- and just everything in general.

Caitlin, Cisco and Iris leave me alone in the cortex, probably to take a small break or something, as I sat there still, messing with my hands, zoned out.

-

[ barry's pov ]

"So, Wells ain't taking this well." Joe trails off, as he starts walking with me, I mumbling out a small 'mhm' to him. "How about you?"

"Yeah- it just sucks you know." I bluntly reply, watching my steps. "You were right, a little bit, about this not being just about Zoom- about it being about the Reverse Flash."

"Okay." Joe nods.

"But- not for the reason that you think. Not because I didn't beat him, It's-" I paused. "Wells- he said something to me on that video, before he confessed to my mom's murder. He said, even if he was dead, he still won because I wasn't happy- that I'd never really be happy."

"How the hell would he know?" Joe shrugs lightly.

"He knew me- he knows the future me." I state the obvious, staring at Joe.

"That's future you. This is the you here and now." Joe explains.

"I still think that Wells was right. Ever since I went back to that night and I didn't save her- I didn't save my mom- I just- there's just been this void in me, you know, I just feel like that's always gonna be there. For better or worse- Wells- he knew me." My voice comes out shaky.

"Better than I know you?" A small smile forms on his face, "He may have stalked you for 15 years, but I raised you. Look- Wells said what he said to you to mess with you- to get in your head one last time. If you listen to him, you let him win."

"I know, I don't want that." I admit quietly.

"You're responsible for your own happiness, Barry. Forget about Wells- think hard about what you want and what makes you happy." Joe tells me, "Go out and get it. Simple as that. All right?" Joe says, his hand going to my shoulder comfortingly, then leaving me be.

I thought.

I did what he said.

I thought hard about what made me happy. What I want.

Only one answer came to mind.

Zee.