Focus on Now (Ace x Reader)

"Mom?"

         "Yes?"

         "When's Dad gonna come home?" You blink and look over at your son, and chuckle quietly at the face he makes. His cheeks are puffed out, which only makes his freckles that much more noticeable.

         "He'll be home soon, (S\N)." From your spot at the sink, you spot a ginger haired woman followed by two meek looking men. When your son spots them, he struggles to hide the excited look on is face.

         "Why's the monster here?"

         "Behave..."

         "Sorry..."

         "Hey! You brats home?" the woman calls, which makes you chuckle and open the window.

         "You're free to come inside, Dadan! Ace isn't home at the moment, though..."

         "Perfectly fine, I don't anything to do with that pain in the ass..." The woman walks in followed by her companions and takes a seat at the table. Though she has an annoyed expression on her face, you can see the glimmer of happiness when she sees the two of you. "(Y\N), what the hell are you doing?"

         "I was doing the dishes before starting din-"

         "You look like a watermelon! I may not like kids, but I sure as hell don't want you to push yourself and kill that one!" she barks, pointing at your round stomach. You blink before laughing softly.

         "Dadan, you don't need to worry-"

         "Bullshit!"

         "Language," (S\N) scoffs as he takes a seat next to his (favorite) babysitter. "And Mom isn't a wuss, she's fought the strongest admirals head on!" You blink in surprise and turn to look at your son. Now Ace's history as a pirate wasn't hidden (especially when he still bears Pop's Jolly Roger on his back), but you were positive you hadn't let it slip to him that you were also a pirate in your youth.

         "(S\N), where did you hear that?"

         "Dad told me." Of course he did... Your son tilts his head and gives you a curious look, which makes you raise a brow.

         "How come you never told me you were a Whitebeard Pirate like Dad?" You sigh and shake your head before turning back to the dishes. You can feel everyone's eyes on you you as you click your tongue.

         "Because that war... It... It wasn't something to be proud of. On either side." Dadan shifts and stands up.

         "You don't need to talk about it, (Y\N)," she says quietly as she walks over. She picks up a rag and starts helping you dry the dishes, which makes you blink in surprise. She must remember how the two of you were when you came from Marineford...

         "Don't worry, Dadan... The past is the past." Your son looks between you two curiously before you sigh and lift up your hair. When your son sees the tattoo on the base of your neck, he stands and grins. Pop's Jolly Roger is on your neck, bold and proud as always.

         "So Dad wasn't lying!"

         "He never lies."

         "Bull." You chuckle at Dadan's words before turning back to wash the dishes. You hear (S\N) ramble about tattoos to Dadan, and slowly you slip out of the conversation. Lost in your own thoughts, you can't help but remember that day. Standing next to Pops as the reveal the bloody mess that was Portgas D. Ace. The ice locking everybody in. Oars Jr. and his sacrifice. Marines and pirates alike fighting for their lives all for different reasons. Their sick sense of justice vs family loyalty.

         "Don't think too hard, (Y\N)," someone warns you, which makes you jump and turn. Ace leans against the counter and gives you a concerned look before bringing his hand up to your cheek. He looks you over before his eyes fall upon the barely concealed scar on your shoulder. One that nearly takes up your entire torso. You can see that he's thinking back to Akainu's punch, how it nearly killed him, Luffy, and yourself.

         "Listen to your own advice, Ace," you chide gently before looking around. Where had Dadan and (S\N) run off to? How long had you dazed off for? As if sensing your question, Ace brings you close.

         "They told me you started staring off into space. They couldn't snap you out of it, so I told them to keep each other busy outside while I spoke with you," Ace explains. Sure enough you can hear the horrified shouts of the older woman as your son likely shows her some of the stunts he's perfected.

         "Sorry..." Ace clicks his tongue and places his hands on your stomach before kissing your forehead.

         "Don't apologize, Sugar... It was a tough day for everyone..." You roll your eyes at the pet name before kissing your husband's jaw. Ace chuckles before placing a hand on your chin and leaning close. He places a quick kiss on your lips before kneeling down to be at eye level with your stomach.

         "Come on, Rouge... You gotta look after Mom for me," he chides before glancing up at you. "She's a strong lady, but even she needs help." You feel a kick in response, which makes you huff and lean back. Your daughter is definitely going to be all over her father. Ace chuckles and apologizes before kissing your cheek. "If it makes you feel better, I heard from Marco on the Transponder Snail."

         "Oh?"

         "He wants us to take a family trip to see Pops and the others."

         "Ace-"

         "I know you said you wanted to wait, but-"

         "Ace-"

         "Everybody misses us, and they wanna see (S\N)... And I know it's dangerous with the Marines and-"

         "Ace!" you huff as you grab his cheeks. Your husband stops rambling and gives you a nervous look. "I'd love to visit them, but did you think about Rouge...?" Ace nods slowly and rubs the back of his head.

         "Would... Would it really be so bad for Rouge to be born on the ship? I... I just want Pops to meet our kids before he..." Before he dies... Pops is definitely getting up in age, and will go any day now.

         "Alright," you nod, making Ace perk up. "But!"

         "But?"

         "You need to find a safe ship... One that our son will be safe on." Ace grins and nods before taking your hands.

         "Of course, (Y\N)! Gramps said he'd lend us a Marine ship!" Garp, that old badger... But if he's willing to lend to criminals a ship for something like this...

         "You can tell (S\N), I'm sure he'll be more than happy to hear that from you." Ace grins and nods before running outside to deliver the news. You chuckle and rub your stomach as you watch your husband and son laugh and cheer. Memories of the war flash before your eyes, but you shake your head to clear them away. Focus on now, not then. And with a smile you turn to set the table for dinner. Life is wonderful, and you wouldn't trade it for the world.