A Tale of a King

The camp, which had been busy and bustling just moments earlier, was now quiet and dark except for the stars overhead and the crackle of the fire. I rested against a rocky outcropping in between Kili and a sleeping Thorin. Bilbo was leaning against his pack on the other side of the fire. Just as Bilbo was just about to drift off to sleep, an ugly screech pierced the night. Thorin jerked awake and grabbed my hand. Bilbo looked like he was going to cry.

"What was that?" his voice was shaking. Fili and Kili exchanged looks and turned back to my brother.

"Orcs. The Lowlands are crawling with them. There'll be dozens of them out there." Fili smiled and lit his pipe.

"They hunt in packs. The attack in the wee hours when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet. No noise, just lots of blood." Kili's voice trailed off. I could hear Thorin stirring next to me. He let go of my hand and stalked to the other side of the fire. In its light, the lines on his face seemed to be carved from stone. I could feel the anger rolling off of him in waves. As he opened his mouth, I half-expected him to breathe fire.

"You think a night raid by Orcs is a joke? You know nothing of the world." Thorin spat. Fili and Kili turned three shades lighter.

"Thorin, I agree with you. A night raid is no joke. But don't be so hard on them. They've never experienced what you have. They've never had to." Thorin had turned away and wouldn't look back at me. He was standing on the edge of a cliff and staring into the distance.

Balin noticed the panic-stricken look on Kili's face and leaned against the outcropping. "Don't mind him laddie."

"Why shouldn't he? Thorin nearly bit his head off."

"Thorin has more cause than most to hate Orcs."

"What happened?" Kili was eyeing Thorin nervously.

"After the dragon took The Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient Dwarf Kingdom of Moria. But our enemy had gotten there first. The kingdom had been taken by legions of Orcs. They were led by the most vile of their race, Azog the Defiler. The Gundabad Orc had sworn to wipe out the Line of Durin." I had only heard of him in stories. Bilbo and I looked at Thorin. He had tensed at the mention of the vile creature's name. I looked back at Balin, eager for him to continue.

"He began by beheading the king." I clapped my hand over my mouth. The corners of my eyes were beginning to blur. Balin continued, "Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He disappeared. Whether he was taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us. That was when I saw him. A young Dwarf Prince facing down the Pale Orc. He went against the most terrible odds and he stood alone." My shoulders began to shake slightly. I pressed another hand on my mouth to keep myself quiet.

"His armor rent, he wielded nothing but an oaken branch as a shield. Azog learned that day that the Line of Durin would not be so easily broken." I would make sure of that.

"Our forces rallied and drove the Orcs back. But there was no song or feasting that night. Our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few had survived. Then I saw him and thought to myself, 'There is one I could follow. There is one I could call King.' " Thorin turned back to us. I could barely see him because of all the tears spilling out of my eyes.

"Thorin..." I drifted to stand by the dwarves who were all staring at their king. I followed him as he took up his previous spot.

Soon everyone but me had gone to sleep. I took out a piece of paper and began to write. I finished and smiled as I reread it.

"Thorin,

I'm so sorry that you've lost so much. You had your home and everything you've ever loved taken from you and all this time I've had everything. I've never had to go without anything. I've learned about you, your life, your people, and your home but I'd never heard that story that Balin told. I was so shocked. I'm proud of you. I'm proud that you that you found a way to face your enemies and lead your people. I admire that quality in people. I admire you. I admire your selflessness, courage, and perseverance . Thank you for finding a place for me in what one day, I'm sure, will be a great story.

Sincerely,

Belladonna Baggins

P.S, I think you might need this"

I retrieved the money pouch that Thorin had given me earlier that day. I placed the note and pouch on a rock near the cliff. I walked back to my bedroll and gently nudged Thorin awake so he could begin the next shift.