In Infrastructure & construction development work such as high load work like Dam, Highways & Bridges, we must have to check Quality of Soil. Soil compaction is one of the processes in soil testing that can be done by some mechanical equipment. In soil compaction process, some soil areas have air voids in between and then remove them after accurate amount of pressure and increasing its dry unit weight.
Benefits of Soil Compaction Test:
1. Prevention of soil settlement
2. Frost damage
3. Increased ground stability
4. Reduced hydraulic conductivity
5. Mitigating undesirable settlement of structures
How a soil compaction test can be performed:
1. Standard Proctor Compaction Test (Lab Test): This test can be performed in lab to check maximum density getting by soil under specific humidity conditions. The relationship between soil moisture content and compacted dry density is very useful for deciding construction specifications.
Things to be needed:
· 1/30 cubic ft. mold
· lb. hammer
· 12" drop
· 3 layers of soil
· 25 blows
Obtain layered soil sample (via our VTK Soil Sampler if equipped) Determine the weight of the Proctor mold with the base and the collar extension Assemble the compaction tool Place soil in the mold in 3 layers Compact the soil with 25 well distributed blows of the hammer Carefully detach the collar extension and base without distributing the soil Determine the weight of the Proctor mold and the soil Oven dry the soil for 12 hours to determine the moisture content
Compaction energy can be calculated with this test by using this formula:
((#blows) x (#layers of soil) x (weight of hammer) x (height drop)) / mold volume
There are two types of models, Proctor Compaction Apparatus as per BS code (AIM-112) and Proctor Compaction Apparatus as per ASTM code (AIM-113), these instruments are manufactured by Aimil Ltd.
2. Field Tests: On the field it is necessary to find exact compaction value of compacted soil that was in Lab. So, Some different types of field test which should be perform that is mentioned below:
· Nuclear Test: This test used to perform to get moisture content & density into the compacted Soil. In this process, some radioactive isotope source placed one-sided on the surface of Soil. Maximum amount of absorption of gamma rays by the soil surface is more dense than the looser soils so, which determine exact values for moisture content & density. Aimil offers you Proctor Penetrometer for determining the moisture content and dry density.
· Cone Test: Soil Compaction test should be performing accurately so, we should re-verify always that used sand or soil should be dry throughout start to end of the process. Any changes in moisture content will skew the result. A Small hole is dug into the compacted soil. Such a Soil have dried and weighed again to check remaining moisture.
· Balloon Densometer: This is a similar to sand clone test. Calculated difference is the volume of the sample hole is measured after putting whole liquid filled balloon into the test hole explicitly. The volume of fluid is measured and used to determine the soil's density and water content.
Models Available at Aimil Ltd, India
Compaction Test Apparatus for light compaction (AIM-110 )
Compaction Test Apparatus, Manual -Light Compaction made of Mild Steel (AIM-110-MS)
Compaction Test Apparatus for heavy compaction (AIM-111 )
Compaction Test Apparatus, Manual-Heavy Compaction made of Mild Steel (AIM-111-MS )
Proctor Compaction Apparatus as per BS code (AIM-112)
Compaction Apparatus for heavy compaction (AIM-112-H)
Proctor Compaction Apparatus as per ASTM code (AIM-113)
Compaction Apparatus for Light Compaction as per ASTM Code (AIM-113-L)
Major Application - For soil Compaction Test
YOU ARE READING
What is Soil Compaction test?General Fiction
In Infrastructure & construction development work such as high load work like Dam, Highways & Bridges, we must have to check Quality of Soil. Soil compaction is one of the processes in soil testing that can be done by some mechanical equipment. In...