River's reasons

RIVER

"Where are you taking me Skyscraper?" Foggy whined for the hundredth time in the span of five minutes, "I thought we were going to my house to practice?"

"So I can embarrass myself in front of your parents? No thanks. Besides, I think I can treat you to something to eat. I wouldn't want you going back home on an empty stomach." I said as I drove towards a drive through.

"So... Your afraid to bring me back home hungry? How scared are you of my mother?" She asked laughing.

I rolled my eyes. In actual fact I wasn't afraid of her mother at all. I actually liked her mother a lot. I'd only met her today but from the friendly and kind aura she gave off, she seemed like someone genuine and kind hearted, which reminded me a lot of Mystique. And while I was there she made me promise to look out for her daughter. So I took it as my duty to keep that promise, especially because it involved Mystique.

"No, I'm not afraid. She just made me promise something and I'd like to keep it." Surprisingly Mystique didn't ask about it. Instead, she nodded and kept quiet.

I ordered two burgers and sodas along with some fries and then I carried on driving which baffled poor Foggy.

"Okay, now where are we going?" She yelled. In my mind all I could think was, did she seriously not trust me?

I looked at her from over my shoulder, just for a second, prepared to make a snarky comment. However, I froze and gulped as I caught sight of how beautiful she looked in the orange glow of the bright sun. Even now I could not help my raging heartbeat and weightless feeling as I stared at her. It was a feeling all too familiar, and something I had only felt a few times back when I was younger. I wondered, for a moment, whether it would be wrong of me to act on impulse right now, but brushed the thought away almost as soon as it had appeared. She'd be better of just being a friend. I couldn't hurt her. I knew she was different.

"Hello, Earth to Skyscraper?" She said waving a hand in front of my face and then pointing to the road, "Eyes on the road!"

I chuckled and said, "Fine, fine. If you stop asking, I'll keep my eyes on the road."

She huffed, but I assumed that her silence was an agreement to what I'd asked.

Soon we arrived at my favourite beach, which was now, secluded. Yes... I was a beach kind of guy, and I always loved coming to this beach at this exact time because there was hardly anyone here which would now benefit the ears of many.

"The beach? I love the beach!" She yelled. I rolled my eyes and grinned, as I stopped the car. We got out, walked towards the shore and then stopped on the sand and sat down. She didn't once complain liked I'd expected her too. Instead, her hands stayed fixed on the paper bag which contained our food and her eyes watched the waves move advance and the decline in wonder.

"Wow..." She uttered still captured by the sea.

"I know right." I said as I took the bag from her. She then snapped out of her trance and turned towards me with questioning eyes.

"I didn't take you for a beach guy. Guess there's more to River than meets the eye." She said as I handed her her food.

"Is there? And wait..." I said as I realised what she had just said,"Did you just call me by my name?"