Scent.1

Thank you for downloading this free sample. You are welcome to share it with your friends. This sample may be reproduced, copied and distributed for non-commercial purposes, provided the sample remains in its complete original form. If you enjoyed this free sample, please visit the author's website to purchase the ebook.  Thank you for your support.

‘Scent’ copyright K.R. Smith 2010

http://onaya3.blogspot.com/

*****

2nd September 2084

      Man, this Iggy Pop album is awesome!  Our heads bopped along to the tune of ‘Lust For Life’ in time to the beat and in time with each other.

      “B.”

      Hmm, what was that?

      “B!”

      Is that Mum?

      “BIANCA!”

      Derik and I looked to each other, each of us wondering if the other had heard that? as we laid on our stomachs on top of my bed, listening to the old CD play on the second-hand CD player that used to be my Dad’s.

      “I think your Mom is calling you.” Derik turned down my music.

      Just then Mum blew into my room and stood in the doorway with her hands on her hips.

      “Bianca Grace I have been calling out your name for the past ten minutes!” Mum announced.

      “Yes?” I looked up inquiringly.

      “Will Derik be staying for dinner tonight?” Mum rolled her eyes and then she looked at Derik.

      “No thanks Aunt Jess, but thanks anyway. My Mom is expecting me home.” Derik answered in his usual polite manner.

      “Thanks for answering that Derik. Now I have to go all the way back downstairs and continue making Bianca’s dinner. Next time B, keep the music to a less deafening level and save my legs the hassle, OK?” Mum glared as she started to leave.

      “So? Phase.”  I shrugged.

      “Excuse me?” She stopped to look back.

      “Instead of using the stairs and coming all this way to ask us that one question, just instantaneously phase up here.” I pointed out.

      “Oh right!  Because I’m already in the custom of instantaneously phasing in and out of my 17 year old daughter’s bedroom at my leisure.  No never mind if you were up here with a boyfriend or you were getting undressed for a shower or if…” Mum prattled off.

      “Mum!” I cut her off as I blushed.

      “I’ll be sure to pass on your open invitation to your father so he knows that he too can suddenly appear inside your bedroom at his preference.” Mum added on sarcastically.  “We’ll post an ‘open’ sign on your bedroom door, shall we?”

      With that she was gone, and Derik was left chuckling in her aftermath.

      “Your parents are cool.” Derik said for his millionth time since I’ve known him.

      “No they’re not.” I rebuked for my billionth time.

      “Your Mom is much more flexible than my Mom.” He remarked.