Chapter 9: Hide and Seek

Aditya stirred in the bed due to the sunlight flashing on his face. He woke up and looked around the unfamiliar room. Sandal painted walls, sky blue printed curtains on the windows, to his left corner a book shelf and next to it working table. On that table, a laptop, pen stand and photo frame, he couldn't figure out the photo. When he looked down, he saw Zoya sitting in the couch with her knees pulled together. He alerted and stood up, "Zoya?"

Zoya looked up at him.  Aditya said, "I'm Sorry... I... I don't... remember anything... Where am I now?" then he noticed her face was swollen from crying. Terrified Aditya reach her in two steps and knelt down next to her and asked, "What happened to you?" But she replied robotically, "Last night I found you unconscious near the parking lot in the High Ultra Lounge. I tried calling Arjun, but his phone was switched off. So, I brought you here to my place because I can't leave you there", she paused. "Your car key is in the living room coffee table, you can leave now", she added with harsh tone.

"Zoya, but tell me what happened? Why are you behaving so coldly?" He asked.

Flashes of last night kiss came to her mind, but she said, "Nothing happened, but it will be better if you leave soon from here. I don't want my neighbours to think of something that didn't happen". He opened his mouth to say something but didn't utter a word.

He picked his jacket before leaving he turned to her and asked, "Did something happened last night?" but Zoya stay mum and turn to look at the window. Aditya understood she is not willing to talk anything now and he leave the room. After few seconds, Zoya hear the front door being opened and then closed. Once she knows he left, she broke into tears and put the cushion on her mouth to control the sound of her crying from going out.

In the car, Aditya was trying hard to think, what happened last night? All he remembered was asking the bar man to refill his second glass. The laughter, that anger and the whiskey was flashing on his mind. As he couldn't recollect anything what happened last night, he thought of calling Arjun and ask him about last night. Then, he realised that Arjun didn't know, he was there in High Ultra or he was eavesdropping their conversation or he was collapsed in parking lot intoxicated.

He know he can't ask anyone about it, so he needs to be careful while asking Arjun about Zoya.  But he need to check with Arjun, if Zoya has shared anything about last night with him. He think out what to say and ask, then he called Arjun who picked his call in second ring and asked, "Bhai, where are you? I have been searching for you since morning". Aditya replied, "Ahem... I needed some lone time, so headed out. I won't come to office today; can you please ask Zoya to send the reports to our client?" He asked indirectly to know what happened last night.

"Bhai, she didn't come to office today, I tried calling her but she is not answering my calls. She is not answering Arshad's calls too", he said and asked, "Did she called you or texted you for taking off today?" Aditya replied in hurry, "No..." then controlled himself and said, "No, she didn't inform me anything that she needs leave or such as of now."

"If she asked for leave or anything, then why would I ask you to tell her to send the reports?" he added. 

As Aditya didn't get any response from Arjun, he asked, "I think you guys went out together last night, right! You said you're going out somewhere. Did something happened there?" "No bhai, we all had so much fun and she was happy and good, even she was so happy for Riyaz", Arjun paused, Aditya felt his anger raising.  Arjun continued, "When Arshad and I left her there for a movie, she said she'll take a cab and go home. But till now there no response from her".

All of sudden, Arjun cursed and said, "Shit!!! Bhai, does something wrong happen to her on the way?"

Aditya said, "Calm down, Chotte. Nothing would have happened, don't get panic. Must have gone out on some emergency, she might call you back in sometime. Why don't you check with her other friends? They might have know where she is and don't get panic. She'll be safe and sound."