Chapter Two

"Ma'am?" I asked. I leaned down and checked her breathing. She moaned slightly but did not open her eyes. She was on her side and seemed to be struggling to breathe. I carefully moved her so she was on her back and she began to breathe a bit easier.

"Help!" I yelled. "Help!" I yelled for a while longer but nobody was coming.

I was filled with despair for the woman as I stood up. Maybe I should have helped her first instead of going after the mugger. What good does it do to rescue her purse if she's dead? I stood there for a while contemplating what to do when I heard footsteps.

"Hey, kid! What are you doing?" a man asked as he ran over. I just stared at him dumbly for a moment as if he were some part of my imagination.

"What did you do to her?" he asked as he kneeled over her. What did I do? I was confused at his accusation. He looked up at me for an answer and I saw his badge glint in the low light. He's a cop.

"I didn't do anything to her officer," I replied and another cop came over.

"What happened?" the second cop asked.

"I don't know, but this kid was standing over her with a purse," the first cop replied. They both looked at me suspiciously and I knew I was in trouble. The first cop stood up and called for an ambulance. They exchanged knowing glances and suddenly changed their tones.

"Hey, it's late. Why don't we go to the police station so you can tell us what happened," the second cop said with a forced half smile.

"I can tell you what happened right here."

The second cop pulled me to the side as the first cop continued to explain the situation over his radio.

"Why don't you come to the police station so we can get an official statement from you."

"I would but I really need to get home. My foster parents will be worried about me," I replied. That was a lie.

"So you're in foster care?"

"Yes, but-"

"I see. Well I'm sure they will understand. We can have somebody call them."

"I don't think they will. I'll just tell you what happened. She was getting mugged, he pushed her, I got her purse back, and when I came back she was on the ground."

"Hmm."

I was pretty sure he didn't believe me. He probably thought I was a trouble maker from foster care. He was the same as all the other adults in the area; judging me based on nothing. My right shoulder started to burn where my brithmark was and I grabbed my shoulder in hopes of easing the pain. My action caused the cop's hand to jump to his tazer which startled me because I was shocked he thought he would need it. There was rumor of a couple dirty cops in the area and I hoped he wasn't one of them. 

"Is he giving you trouble Harry?" the first cop asked while walking over.

"Well-" the second cop started hesitantly.

"That's all I needed to hear." The first cop pulled out an electrified baton. It popped and sizzled to life and I was paralyzed. It took the cop stepping forward a few steps for my brain to register what was happening. My legs regained function and I ran, dropping the purse next to the woman as I passed her. I ran the same direction as the thug because I reasoned that if anybody knew a way out it would be him.

"Get back here kid!" the first cop yelled. My only response was to keep running.