They Call Me Angel (One Direction Fanfic)

“Living is really hard, but death is forever. We’re all going to die eventually, so what’s your rush' Even if you think committing suicide will make you seem tragic and romantic and cool, you’ll never know what happened anyway. Don’t you want to know how your life was supposed to turn out. Wouldn’t you like to see what you’re made of?”

― Susan M. Brackney

Niall's P.O.V

The band would be so much better without me.

No one wants me here.

I should do it.

These were the thoughts that ran through my head as I looked over the ledge of the overpass.  All I had to do was jump and then everything would be easy.  At least it should be, because I heard death is simple and easy.

I jumped over the barricade and stood on the narrow ledge, trying to muster up the courage to take the final plunge.  This is what needed to happen, the band would get much more popular without me.  This is how it's meant to be.  I closed my eyes and put a foot out, ready to take one more ste-

" I wouldn't do that if I were you." My eyes snapped open to find the American accent that had just stopped me.  It was a young girl no older than 14.  She was very beautiful, but her face was covered by small scars and dirt.  That paired with the fact that she wearing clothes that were dirty, ripped, and much too large led me to believe that this girl was homeless.  She was petite, with long, messy black hair with slight curls.  Her eyes though... they were big and dark blue and full of pain, sorrow, hunger, anger, and... disappointment?

" Why not?" I growled, angry that she thought she could judge me when she knew nothing about me. She leaned against the barricade and studied me for a moment before responding;

" Because this overpass isn't even 20 feet high so the the chances of you dying are slim. But being that you would land on asphalt you'll probably break a leg and lay there until people start driving again at about 5 A.M.. Then you'll get run over a couple times, thats what'll kill ya, before someone notices your there and then they'll have to scrape you off the road like a piece of gum." That stunned me. I hadn't even thought about that happening. But I still need to do this.

" Why do you still need to do this?" She asked. Shoot I hadn't meant to say that aloud.

" Cuz my friends will be better off without me." I answered glumly.

" Did they really say that?"

" No..."

" So tell me the real reason."

" I-I-I... It's just... Life is so hard and death is so easy." I answered. She got a thoughtful look on her face then replied.

" Your absolutely right. Life is hard and death is easy.  But have you ever realised that the greatest things are hard to find or achieve while the bad things are always within your reach?" She was so right.  I'm not going to die because I'm too weak, I'm going to live because I'm that strong. I climbed back over the barricade and hugged her. At first she was stiff but then she relaxed and hugged me back.

" Thank you..." I started off waiting for her to offer her name.

She smirked and said " You can call me Angel." She then held out her right hand showing me the angel wings tattooed there on her wrist.

I grinned at that because I honestly believe that she was my guardian angel and the name was fitting. " I'm Niall Horan from One Direction."  Confusion clouded her eyes and then cleared with realization.