trois.

The following working afternoon, as I'm drowsily waiting for the kettle to boil, Patrick strides confidently into the kitchen, wearing nothing but his signature black lace lingerie, and announces that he wants to go back into work.

"What?" The roiling steam provides an overly dramatic entrance, and I have to dig the sleep out of my eyes with my knuckles to make sure I'm not seeing things (I rarely work, unless I'm helping Buzz out at the club in the evenings, so I tend to sleep in late). I survey the boy up and down; his hand rests on his hip, which juts away from his body. He's not exactly curvy, since he's still slightly bloated from his heat, but he's not overly slim, either. Nevertheless, he pulls off the look with an intense level of expertise, and dare I say, he's cute. "You've only been here two days. Remember what B told us; you have to rest up."

He pouts. "But I'm better now. My heat finished."

I glance away from him to the counter in front of me and focus on spooning coffee granules into my favourite Star Wars mug. The kettle clicks itself off. I lift it to pour the steaming water into the cup. "I really don't think it's a good idea," I say as I stir the black liquid, devoid of both milk and sugar, just the way I like it. "You're the only Omega I've ever been close with. It's important we spend time developing this..." I make a gesture with my free hand, my brow creasing. "Our... relationship."

Patrick rolls his eyes and walks over to the coat rack stood by the front door, swaying his hips from side to side as he does. "We'll have plenty of time to do that when I'm not working." He unhooks my leather jacket from its peg and slips it on, reaching for the door handle, but he deliberately delays the action, waiting for me step in and tell him off. It's tempting. His stockings, now warm and dry having been through the wash, rise up to mid thigh, and he isn't wearing any shoes, which is no good at all, considering the sub-zero temperatures outside.

"Where are you going?" I finally muster the energy to call out to him.

"To work." He tosses his chin over his shoulder, quirking an eyebrow. "Aren't you going to scold me?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm disobeying you and you're doing nothing about it," he says. "So stop me."

I sigh and discard my coffee on the counter. "Patrick, I'm not just going to-"

He's purposely trying to push my buttons, and to prove his point further, he unlocks the door, opens it, and steps out onto the freezing porch, his hands flush against his hips and his bottom lip between his teeth. "You want us to develop a relationship. This is me developing the relationship. I'm the Omega; you're the Alpha. So be the Alpha."

He's right. Although most people say you will never end up with the first person you love, it's important to learn from experience, of which I have none. So there's no harm in trying. I mirror his stance and cross my arms over my stomach, pushing my chest forward and walking out from behind the counter so he can see me from head to toe. "Patrick, I forbid you to go to work today," I demand.

He grins. "Better."

I drop my arms to my sides and wince. "I wasn't too intimidating?"

"You're supposed to be intimidating." His shoulders jittering from the cold, he comes back inside the house and closes the door behind him. He walks right up to me and stretches himself up on his tiptoes to straighten up the neck of my shirt, causing my breath to hitch in my throat (I don't know why he's making me feel so nervous; we've practically been sharing the same bed for the last two nights). "I'll give you a free lap dance?" he offers, somewhat seductively.

I cough to clear my throat, which has all of a sudden grown extremely dry. "Absolutely not."

Patrick flashes me his winning smile, his arm curling behind my back. "Drink your coffee and get dressed," he says. "The fresh air will do you some good." He places the mug in my hands, turns away, and then begins strutting around the kitchen in search of something to eat.

I stare blankly at the wall and question my second gender.