Chapter Twenty-four

"Your flaws are perfect for the heart that is meant to love you."

~Anonymous

Alex

As the first week of February rolled in, once again we were on the road. I was seriously starting to get annoyed with all this sneaking around. Just a few more months, I kept telling to myself. Right now we were headed toward a nearby city, where an awesome adult arcade was located. I had been there once with Don, who hadn't exactly been that impressed by it, but I knew Hunter would appreciate it.

A little while back, when Hunter and I had been watching a post-apocalyptic movie, Hunter had told me he had never been at an arcade. When I suggested coming here he had reacted as an overjoyed puppy.

The place was big and dark, with lots of flashing lights and game melodies. And no matter what I just couldn't get over Hunter's expression. I did get annoyed though after he beat me for the third time at air hockey. Wasn't this his first time playing?

"I love you and all, but could you stop letting me win?" he asked me with a pleading smile as I reached for the puck.

"I'm not!" I yelled at him. "Somehow, you're better". He just gave me a stare with one raised eyebrow.

"I'm well aware of how good I am at putting things through holes," he told me and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"You haven't proven that to me yet," I reminded him, hitting the puck.

"So, I'll be giving it to you?"

My mind seemed to freeze as I was left a flushed and shaking mess. How was he talking about this in public?

"Eh, do you want to talk about this now?" I asked him, clearing my throat and looking around.

No one was particularly close to us actually. There was another air hockey table next to ours, which wasn't occupied, and a few video games that in a similar condition. Most people were by the pool table, many feet away from us.

"Who's gonna listen?" he winked at me.

"Fine," I sighed, making the corners of his mouth turn up. "I thought it was obvious, though," I said as I managed to score a point.

"What was?" he asked starting again the game.

"That you'll be giving it to me..." I said, biting of most words. Now it was his turn to freeze.

"Why would that be obvious?"

"Because I've never done that before with a guy. I figured you'd be taking the lead," I said with a shrug.

"Yeah, but if you want the lead... you can have it," he replied meeting my gaze, all the playfulness gone from his voice. I just blinked.

"We'll see..." I told him and lowered my eyes to the game again.

"That we will," he answered, his voice hoarser than usual.

After I managed to beat him for once, we went to play some pool, seeing as it was now empty. And even though Hunter knew how to play pool, he was now the losing one. As bad of me as it was, I was, in fact, enjoying this. Payback was too sweet in this case.

We ended up playing two rounds, both laughing and enjoying ourselves. Next on were some actual arcade games, Tetris and Pac-Man mostly. And again I was surprised to see how good he was for someone who claimed to never have been at an arcade before.

"I swear, I've never played these before," he exclaimed after setting another high score. I rolled my eyes and pushed him away so I could seat down.