Chapter 1: Breaking Boundaries (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

She just simply walked out of my room and slammed my door a bit more than neccessary making me flinch. When will that stop? I miss my mother. The one who would cheer me up by baking my favorite brownies. The one who used to braid my hair ever so gently. The one who would hug me tenderly if I was scared. Where was she? Where were her loving eyes? Maybe I should just leave. It's what she wants anyway. I was on the brink of tears again.

No! Get your self together Layla. She needs you now more than ever. Even if it seems like she doesn't . . .

Sighing, I looked at my alarm clock and saw the time. Oh no, I'm gonna be late! I quickly went to the bathroom and washed my face and brushed my teeth rapidly yet thoroughly. I briefly decided what to wear once opening my closet. I picked my favorite pale pink cardigan and picked whatever matched with it quickly. After brushing my long hair once I quickly grabbed my schoolbag and walked out of the front door step feeling the fresh, windy Monday morning. I wasn't worried about my hair tangling since it literally stayed pin-straight no matter what.

Shoot. Mom's BMW wasn't in the driveway. I really needed a ride today, though.

I sighed in annoyance as I locked the door and began my way to Jefferson High School. I only lived two blocks from it so I hastily walked my way. Butterflies started to erupt in the pit of my stomach when the school began to be more and more clear as I approached it. It was the second week of the new school year. I missed the first week since mom had a little accident and I had to stay home the whole week to help her get better.

Phew, I made it. There were other teenagers lingering around the front entrance so I wasn't too late. It seemed like the first bell hadn't rang yet, but I continued to walk hastily since the office was at the furthest part of the building.

I nearly squealed in excitement once I entered the building. I was pretty much a loner here last year. Not this year though, I am determined to make at least three--no, twenty-eight friends this year. I walked with a confident stride until I stepped on my shoelace and somehow slipped and fell directly on my butt. I winced in pain, rubbing my sore behind until I saw a small group of boys chuckling as they slowly passed by me.

"What a loser." One of them mumured making me blush.

"Stupid shoelace." I whispered as I quickly tied a knot and stood up.

Who am I kidding? I know I was way too timid then to even start a coversation with a complete stranger let alone someone in my own class. Heck, I should be glad if I at least make one friend. Seems like my sophmore year isn't going to be that different from last year after all.

I sulked the rest of the walk. I entered the small room that overly smelled of peaches making my nose wrinkle slighty in disgust. I walked up to the main desk where a short, hispanic woman who was typing at the speed of light, then stapling documents together afterward fax some paperwork all in the same chronological order. She sighed in annoyance as I frowned. I didn't want to disturb her. She look like she was way too busy with her job, but I had no choice. I didn't want to be in the awkward situation where you're the last person to enter the classroom and everyone looks at you as you walk to your desk.

"Um. Excuse me Miss." I murmured. I guess she didn't hear me come in because she dropped the stapler in shock.

"Are you okay?" I asked worriedly. It looked like it landed on her foot. I wasn't sure since the desk was so high.

"Yes, gracias." She smiled with perfect white teeth as she retrieved it .

"Te nada." I grinned. Well, I'm glad I took spanish last year.

"What can I do for you, mija?" She asked sincerly.

"I came to pick up my schedule. My name's Layla Hart." I beamed at the term of endearment. Yes, I'm very glad I took spanish last year. The smile had her taken aback for a second, but she responded with a warm smile.