Sensitive to the Light (Chapter 23)

Callan

“Why can’t we leave too? Just jump on a plane and get the hell out of dodge?” She pleaded, wide eyed. How I wished I could tell her we could leave, that we’d be safe.  That we could run away and start a new life far, far away from here but I’d be lying.

I shook my head. “The Hounds would follow us, they’ll follow the others too - wherever they go.  We’re not just damned souls, we are the guardians of the gateways to Hell.  If this really is the Apocalypse they’ll want us all out of the way.”

Daegan leapt from the bed, a strangled cry escaping through gritted teeth as she whirled to face me.  I was taken aback by her expression; her canines had extended and her eyes blazed red with barely contained fury.  She looked as though she was ready to rip the mansion apart with her bare hands until nothing but rubble remained.

“So they’re not cowards then? They’re worse than cowards if they’re just running from the inevitable. Fucking bastards!” She shrieked as she ripped the bathroom door from its hinges and ground it into dust between her fingers.  

“Would Fext have stood for this? What would he have done? I’ll tell you this; if I’d spent over a thousand years putting up a fucking fortress ready for one thing and one thing alone, there is no way I’d stand idly by and watch it fall apart before my eyes.  I may have been innocent and naive before this week, before you drank my blood, before I was ‘re-born’ for want of a better term, before I was truly alive...”

The last piece of the jigsaw clicked into place...

“Dae-”

“And I might not like eating people,”

“Daeg-”

“But if we just accept their shit and face this alone, then we will die, and I’m not ready to die, not ye-”

I sprang forwards, colliding with her head on as the force of the impact flung us both to the floor, “Daegan!”

“What?” She snarled out from beneath me, her chest rising and falling with each angered breath as I tried to ignore the fact that she was semi-naked.

“How premature were you?”

“Two months.  What does that have to do with anything?”

“Trust me,” I begged, “How long had your mother been dead before you were born?”

“An hour?” She shook her head, “I don’t know, why are you asking me this?”

“It’s the missing part of the Prophecy; ‘Blood of the innocent, born of death too fast, brings forth the awaited, birthed at last.’ I took your blood, you were innocent - a virgin, you were born prematurely, born too early, too fast from a dead mother then you were reborn as an Immortal.  You’re the ‘awaited’.  It’s always been about you,” I babbled as I stared down at her.

“What the hell are you on about?” She yelled as she squirmed in my unrelenting grip, a bra strap falling from one porcelain shoulder.

“We’re not giving up, we can win this Daegan, as long as we have you.”  I whispered against her soft warm lips as I pulled her roughly against my chest, all self control lost with no hope of return until we were both sated.

* * * * * *  * * * * * *  * * * * * *

“Cal! Callan!”  It took a while for Julius’ cries to register as he thundered up the stairs and burst through the only intact door in the room as Daegan climaxed and I choked back a scream of pleasure as I swiftly followed suit.  Somehow we had managed to end up in the wardrobe and I stifled a chuckle as a pile of haphazardly stacked clothes rained down on us.