49 days

Soondeok's diary

It's been 49 days since it happened. 49 days, the number of days the spirit is said to roam on earth before leaving for good. That's why Eun's grandpa wouldn't let us go back to our place, not wanting something bad to happen to Eun. As if Mongryong's spirit would hurt us...

I will pay a visit today, to him. Not Mongryong, but him. Yes, he did kill our dog, and yes, he did try to kill Eun's mother, but he's still my friend before he started serving the queen – the queen dowager now. I asked Prince So to protect his family and send them away to somewhere far off so the she won't kill them off to shut their mouths. They're safe now.

For some reason I can't seem to sleep well these days, is it because that day is getting closer? The day of our 3rd wedding anniversary. Less than 20 days now. To be honest, I'm scared. Scared that the prince and I will have to separate from each other, or worse.

His grandpa is plotting a riot, my feeling is giving me that shiver, I really don't want Eun to be part of this. He doesn't want to be king, none of us wants to live the rest of our lives inside the palace. I suppose his grandpa wants to get all the power he can get before he finally dies. Eun's been having several arguments with him since we moved in temporarily, I can't blame him.

Anyway, the prince is still asleep, I must get going now. The carriage is ready.

Eun's diary

My wife has once again left me while I'm asleep. I really need to put a bell on her. I hate it when I have to have breakfast all by myself. The servants said that she's going to spend the day in her father's place, and she wishes not for me to go. Should I listen to her? Should I? Or should I just stay here all day and wait for her return?

After tonight, we'll move back to our place, so I suppose I should start packing things. Funny, how I sounded like there're many things for us to pack when in truth, we didn't really bring much from our place here. Besides, our house is just next door, I don't think packing up really is necessary. And this is not me giving myself an excuse to be lazy, of course not!

Last night Soondeok couldn't sleep, at least I noticed that she's been tossing and turning for hours, I didn't talk to her, in fear that she might feel sorry for making me stay up with her as well. Is she as nervous as I am? About the day, that day, THE BIG DAY. So far, no one's suspected anything and her period did stop as she started taking that medicine I told her to. Everything will go well, right?

I dreamt about Mongryong last night, he was running around the garden in my dream, wiggling his tail as he sees me walking towards him. I was about to reach out and pat him when I woke up. Thank you, Mongryong-ah, for visiting me last night. I miss you.

-----------------------------------------

(Eun pacing outside Soondeok father's residence, wanting to peep over the wall)

'Your highness!'

(A servant comes out to greet the prince)

'Your highness, what brings you here? Please do come in.'

'Oh, no need, I uh...I'll wait here.'

'Whom are you waiting for, your highness? I can call them out for you.'

'No, um, it's fine. It's just my wife.'

'The lady? But...but the lady is not here, your highness.'

'Say that again.'

(The servant thinks hard then replies)

'Lady Soondeok didn't come today, your highness. Are you sure you're in the right place?'