Chapter 2- Nerd Power and Odd Dreams

Start from the beginning

                I was glad that the seats were all off by themselves, without people sitting right beside them like in coach. Like for instance, the eight year old who had sat next to me on one trip and kept snoring, slobbering on everything, and asking me weird questions. I almost wanted to shudder, thinking about how awful that had been.

                I pulled out my copy of The Hunger Games and got started. When we went up into the air, I didn’t dare look out my window because I was deathly afraid of heights. When we were going up, I squeezed my eyes shut and didn’t open them until a few minutes later, when I was sure that we were in the clouds. Even though it may not have been the best for the pilots, I was glad that today was cloudy because I couldn’t see the tiny world beneath us, like ants. When we were up in the sky, it felt like I was in a dream so I quickly snapped a picture of my window view on my digital camera.

                After a few more moments of blissfully staring out at the fluffy clouds, I picked my book back up and began to read the story of the Boy with the Bread and the Girl on Fire once again. I’m pretty sure that this was like a sin to all of the other Hunger Games fans, but I was Team Gale. I’d loved him from the start, and loved him all the way to end of the third book, even after all of the things he did. I thought it was pretty ridiculous how Katniss just strung him along like a puppet, and then finally dumped him on the side of the road at the end. I don’t think that that was much of a spoiler, Gale had no hope with Katniss, even from page one.

                An air flight attendant came up to me and asked me if I wanted a bottle of water and I accepted. I chugged the water bottle down, and felt the water refresh my dry throat. After a few hours, I must have fallen asleep because I opened my eyes and the sky was dark outside, and the book closed on my lap. The flight was supposed to last about nine hours, but I had no idea what that would translate to in England time.

I rested my head against the window and checked the time on my watch. The flight had left at around 4, and now it was around 9. I figured since I had already slept for most of the ride, I might as well sleep for the rest.  Luckily, my body agreed with my for once and I fell into another deep sleep.

                                                                                ***

               “Valerie!” I whipped my head around to see Louis, running towards me. “Come on! We need to go! I distracted the Careers for a little bit, but they are about to find us!”

                Careers? Oh no. He didn’t mean . . .

                I looked around me in my surroundings, taking it all in. There were trees everywhere, and small animals ran past me, fearful that they were about to become my next meal. A plant touched my leg and suddenly it singed with pain and I looked down to see a giant, red mark that ran down my thigh and my calf. Exactly like Katniss’s burn in the 74th area.

                I looked to my right and saw the creek where Peeta had camouflaged himself when Cato had stabbed him, and beyond that, a little cave. Oh, good God, I thought.

                I was in the 74th Annual Hunger Games. With Louis Tomlinson as my ally. Well, I guess when life gives you arenas, you . . . kill tributes?

                I shook my head and followed Louis. His footsteps were loud and sounded like gunfire, and it was no wonder that he’d been trying to lose the Career tributes and failing. He sounded like a firecracker.

                Lou was starting to scale the nearest tree, and I quickly hissed at him, “Louis! Get down! I saw somewhere better we can hide!”