Chapter Two: Likeness-

Start from the beginning

    Another less-than-shocking discovery was that Tony was still sat in the café, shoving a plate of bacon and eggs down his throat.

    We were lucky enough to be good friends with the owner of the place, having spent the better part of the last three years coming here every day. So even though it was almost closing time, we were still welcomed in and served.

    Tyler slumped down into the space by Tony, tapping his hand on the table impatiently. I stood there waiting with my hands in my pockets, until finally Tyler looked up at me. There was the obvious question of what are you still standing there for? in his eyes.

    “Well?”

    “Well, wha'?” He shot back, squaring his shoulders. Tony looked between us with innocent eyes as he shovelled another mouthful in.

    “Well what are you wanting to eat?”

    “I dunno jus' get me a san'wich or somethin'. I don' care.”

    “Jesus,” I muttered, walking towards the counter. I rubbed my forehead to try and push back the tired ache across my forehead, as I waited for Donna to appear from the kitchen.

    “Oh, hi love! You don't look a bit happy, what's wrong?” She said, smiling. She was like a mother to the three of us. You'd honestly think she was Santa's wife or something, she was that jolly and kind.

    I sat myself down on one of the stools, settling in for a conversation. “I'm so exhausted. These nights feel like they're getting longer.” I struggled to keep my eyes open.

    Donna slid a cup of coffee towards me. I thanked her with a smile. “I don' see why you can't just go get yourself a nice job. This one you boys have now, ain't gonna do nothing good for you!” She tucked a stray ginger curl behind her ear. The rest of her hair was pulled back into a tight, frizzy bun.

    “No one would want to take on a school drop-out, Donna. Especially whose only talent is, well, you know." I pressed my lips together to hold in the sigh of despair. "Anyway, can I get a bacon sandwich and a bowl of cornflakes, please.”

    “Sure thing, hon.” She bustled off into the kitchen after handing me my cereal. I waited until she gave me Tyler's sandwich before pouring the milk in, and then joined the other two at the table.

   “So where we going tonight?” Tony asked, glancing between me and Tyler. I shrugged my shoulders and sprinkled a bit too much sugar over my cornflakes.

    “Sea front,” I think was what Tyler said. I couldn't tell due to the fact that he had a mouth full of bread and bacon. I threw him a napkin, indicating to the side of his mouth. He had a dollop of ketchup just sitting there, and it was making me feel sick.

    He ignored the napkin and instead used his tongue, staring at me the whole time as if to make a point. “Sea front cause we ain't been down ther' fo' a while.” He said after he'd swallowed.

    “Jeez, tonight's gonna be a long one. I just know it.” I scrunched my nose up at Tony's words. I wished more than anything to be able to go back and collapse into my bed. Even if it was only for a few more hours. “Bet it'll be slow business as well. Sunday's always are.”

    I left the two of them to finish off their food while I paid for it, and by the time I'd finished they were already up and ready to get going. We left the café, saying goodbye to Donna as she locked up behind us. The sky had turned into a navy-blue now and the wind had picked up, turning my cheeks a cold pink.

    “Ey, Mitch, ye got a light?” Tyler grabbed my jacket and jerked me past Tony, over to his side. I swallowed nervously, something I couldn't control whenever I was in close contact with Tyler.