Chapter 5: Who Are You?

Start from the beginning

Alice and Jack approached the table and waited for Sarah to look up and notice them. When she finally looked up, a smile lit up her face as she saw Alice stood there, although it soon changed into a knowing smirk as she looked at Jack stood next to her with his arm round her. She looked back at Alice and wiggled her eyebrows suggestively at her. Alice returned the look with a puzzled face and followed Sarah’s gaze to where it was set on Jack’s arm around her. She quickly stepped away from him, making sure his arm slipped off her shoulders as she looked down a little embarrassed. Jack shot Alice a confused look, which within it held hurt, but she didn’t look at him, she kept her eyes focused on Sarah.

Shaking her head and chuckling, Sarah finally spoke “Hey Alice. Nice of you to come and finally join me.” She teased. Alice scoffed at the irony of her statement as it was clear that Sarah was the one who had left without a word, not the other way around.

“Yeah, something like that.” Alice said, raising an eyebrow at Sarah to let her know that she wasn’t impressed.

“Err…Are you going to introduce us?” A deep voice spoke up, Alice and Jack looked at the man sat to the left of Sarah – their opinions completely different about the man. Jack thought he was bad news and for some reason, didn’t like him. It might have been for the fact that he caught him checking out Alice, but he doubted it.

Alice on the other hand was dying to find out who he was as he was very attractive; she could stare at him for days…although that would be creepy. He had been staring at her since he had notice her approaching their table and he hadn’t taken his eyes off of her. She noticed him looking her up and down and she felt herself blush a little at the thought.

“Oh right.” Sarah said face palming herself and breaking Alice out of her thoughts. “This,” she indicated towards Alice “is Alice, my best friend and this,” she pointed at Jack “is Alice’s best friend. Well one of them, as I’m her other one, right Alice?” Sarah asked her, raising her eyebrows, waiting for her to confirm it.

“Totally.” Alice said, smirking sarcastically at her. Sarah and Alice both knew she was joking as, Sarah was her best friend. They had met in a club and had hit it off from there. “Now that you’ve introduced us,” Alice began “mind letting us know who your new friends are?” Alice asked.

“Oh right.” Sarah said for a second time. “This is Adam and Chris.” She indicated towards the boy on her left as she said Adam and to other boy when she said Chris. But Alice stopped listening after she heard the word ‘Adam’. She looked at him shyly and he smiled at her. He signalled for her to come and sit in the booth next to him. Alice looked around to find that Sarah had already launched herself into a conversation with Chris and she didn’t bother looking at what Jack was doing. ‘Probably chatting up another girl’ she thought to herself. Her stomach turned and she felt a little sick when she thought that, but brushed it aside as she sat next to Adam. They soon began talking and were getting on really well until Jack spoke up, interrupting both Alice and Sarah’s conversations with each boy.

“I think it’s time we left. I’ll drive as I haven’t had a drink yet.” Jack said, his voice sounded annoyed and before either girl could protest, he pulled them into a standing position and turned to walk away from them, leaving them no choice but to follow.

They said goodbye to the boys. As Alice and Sarah turned away, Adam grabbed Alice’s arm and began to write something down on it. He looked at her and winked before dropping her arm and walking back to sit down in the booth. Alice walked away, trying to see what he had written on her arm, but struggled under the poor lighting.

“What was all that about?” Someone hissed right next to Alice, making her jump. She looked up and saw Jack stood there with a stony face, his voice edging in irritation.