fourteen

[edited]

M E L ' S P O V

I pretty much ate ice cream, watched Disney movies, and cried the rest of the night. Jordan' was gone, PAX was over, and now Ariel and Jas were gone. I just needed someone to talk to so I started thinking about who to invite over.

Stacy, she's nice and all, but I don't feel like I can tell her everything I want to.

Destiny, as much as I want to see her right now, she lives in Canada and a call wouldn't feel the same.

Zach, same. I just want to be able to hug someone, and they haven't invented that yet over a phone.

Lucy, maybe. We haven't talked at all since I've come back and I'm sure it'll be sort of awkward trying to spill my emotions.

Jamie, she lives in LA, and we became close enough at PAX that I'd be comfortable with talking to her.

I called her and she answeredwithin two rings.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Jamie."

"Hey, Melanie! What's wrong?"

"I just really need to talk to someone. Would you mind coming over?"

"Of course not! I'll be over in ten minutes!"

"Okay, thank you!"

"You're welcome. See you then."

"See ya."

I ended the call and waited for her to show up. In the meantime, I did a lot of pacing and thinking. This was terrible, I was getting this worked up about two cats and a boy I didn't really love? I was overreacting, I just needed to focus on my job to keep my mind off of things.

While arguing with myself, I heard a knock on my door and rushed over to open it. I saw Jamie standing there in a cute tank top and a pair of shorts.

"Hi, Jamie. Come in.", I said and let her in.

"Hey, Melanie. This is a cute apartment you've got here! So, what's the problem?", she asked, and we sat down on the sofa.

"So, please let me know if I'm being ridiculous or not, but I've spent all day crying over a boy that I didn't really love and my two cats that ran away.", I said. She didn't laugh, or give me an 'are you serious' look, she looked at me with caring eyes and I knew she was a real friend.

"Was this boy Jordan? I thought you guys were doing great! What happened?", she asked.

"I thought we were doing fine, too. But I started realizing that we have nothing in common and that we just weren't connecting. So the night of the PAX party, Liam told me he loved me. I tried to tell him that he can't but he kissed me. Jordan saw, and I tried to explain, but he called me a slut. And then when I was leaving, I saw him making out with this girl that called me a bitch and Jordan swore out of his life.", I said quickly.

"You aren't overreacting. You may have loved him, you may not have. But even if you didn't, you guys were still great friends, so those words would still hurt. They would hurt anyone. And I'm sure you seeing Jordan with that girl made you feel betrayed and alone. But I'm here to tell you that you aren't. You have me and Destiny and Zach. We all care about you so much and can't bare to see you like this.", she said. She knows just what to say. She's an amazing friend.

"That was perfect. Thank you so much, Jamie!", I said, hugging her.

"And and as long as you treated your cats well and made sure they were happy, they'll return home if they know where you are.", she said.

"Good. I miss my babies.", I said, smiling.

"So, what do you want to do now?", she asked.

"I've got some mint chip ice cream with our names on it!", I said excitedly.

"My favorite! I'm all in!", she said happily. We both ran to the kitchen, fumbling around for bowls and spoons. I threw the empty carton into the trash and we went back to the couch. We talked about anything and everything. I was laughing about something she said when my phone vibrated. I picked it up and read the text.

From Zach🍕💚: teamspeak?

To Zach🍕💚: is it important?

From Zach🍕💚: very.

To Zach🍕💚: I'm comin on now.

"Hey, Jamie. Can I get on Teamspeak real quick? Zach says it's important.", I explained.

"Of course! I should actually be going. I'm glad I could help, and let me know when Ariel and Jas return. Oh, and thanks for the ice cream!", she said, walking to the door.

"Will do! See you later!", I said, and heard my door open and close shut.

I logged onto Teamspeak and joined a channel with Zach only.

"Hey, Melanie.", he said, sniffling. Has he been crying?

"Hi, Zach, what's wrong?", I asked.

"Um, something happened, and I don't know how to tell you.", he said slowly.

"Well, figure out the best way. I'll stay and wait.", I said. I spun myself around in my chair, waiting for him to talk. After about a minute, he finally spoke, but only three words.

"Liam committed suicide."

Life does this to you. Just when you think you are on top of the world, you come crashing down. Jamie had just brought me up literally ten minutes ago, and now I've fallen even farther than I did the first time. Just when you think you are having the time of your life, it abruptly stops and misery finds its way back.

Because that's all life is; just a routine of bad days, with the rarity of a dream of happiness. That's my life, anyway.

I'm just dreaming.