Six

*** please read the author's note at the end

~~~~~~

The last few operating hours of the cafe seemed to fly by much too fast for my liking. And before I knew it, Jenny was closing up shop. She had told me to wait for her while she wrapped up some things.

Anxiously, I sat on one of the barstools, fidgeting by tapping on the counter. As much as I tried to feel calm, I just couldn't.

What did Jenny want to tell me? She definitely seemed serious when she said she needed to talk with me.

Did she know about me sleeping on the couch?

Was I getting fired?

Questions, questions, all of which made me quite the bundle of nerves.

Finally, Jenny approached me from behind a door I realized I had never been in.

She went across the counter, staring me at all the while. She squinted her eyes, as if trying to really see me. Part of me wondered if she would lead up to what she was saying, or if she'd beat around the bush. I was hoping she would just rip it off like a bandaid and come out with it.

"I know that you've been sleeping in the cafe," Jenny deadpanned, still looking at me with the analytical stare.

Inside, I had a feeling that that's what this is about, but I still felt stunned that she actually knew. As if sensing my thoughts, Jenny rolled her eyes.

"You know that the shop has security cameras, right?"

I felt like face palming myself. I've been working here for years and have been coming here even longer. How did I not remember that?

Next, I braced myself for the trouble that was sure to come at this. Worry was quickly making it's way into the pit of my stomach, and I felt nausea over it all.

"Why didn't you tell me you had no where to go?" Jenny surprised me by saying. Her voice was filled with sorrow and compassion, reminding me that Jenny was most definitely not the type of person to yell at and then fire me.

I let out a defeated breath. "I'm sorry Jenny. I just didn't know what you would think or do and I was already freaked out of my mind. I'm sorry." I could barely meet her eyes as I spoke. This was all so embarrassing and uncomfortable.

"Damn right you should have!" Jenny exclaimed, causing me to look up. She all of a sudden looked angry. "I need to give that aunt and uncle of yours a piece of my mind! Who the hell do they think you are?!"

"Jenny--"

"You're just a kid, not even 17 yet! What makes them think they can--"

"Jenny!" I said louder, finally catching her attention. "It's okay. They weren't really my type of people," I tried shrugging it off.

Sure, the whole thing had hurt pretty bad and I'm still trying to process it all and recover, but thinking and talking about it doesn't make it any better.

She rolled her eyes again. "Still. They're a bunch of jackasses." I had to laugh at this, despite my dismal feelings at the moment.

"And if you had told me earlier I would have been able to help you sooner," She told me. "I've even given you several chances to tell me and you didn't spill! I gotta tell ya, you're one tough nut to crack."

"What? How long have you known?"

She smiled at me, "Since the night I left you the hot chocolate."

Again, I felt like an oblivious fool.

"Craig and I don't have any room in our apartment, unfortunately. But I do have something to offer you."