Episode Thirty

Smoke wreaking of death and sickness filled the air as I stared into the fire

No one said anything to me after I killed Kim and Tanya.

Everyone had been surprisingly helpful after my horrible murderous behavior. Suzie had given Celia and Andrea some of our clothes, and they'd cleaned up well, but on the flip side, they used way too much of our water.

Derek and Andrea remained attached at the hip during unpacking duty. Everyone helped unload, which was nice.

My hands were sore as hell. I'd washed them relentlessly as soon as I realized I'd created open wounds right next to two infected girls. How could I have been so stupid?

"What's going on between you and Thomas?" I twisted to find Derek standing beside me without his plus one. It was the first time I'd seen him alone since we left my house.

"Are you kidding me right now?" I scoffed. "I just murdered two girls, and you're asking about Thomas and me?"

Derek's eyes blazed as he stared into me. "I saw you hugging him. You looked like you were going to kiss him."

I let out a deep breath. "Did you see when I beat the ground until my hands were bloody, Derek? Did you stand there with me while I gunned down two innocent girls?"

Derek's gaze slid to the fire as he played with something in his pocket. "No. I had to help—"

"Andrea. I know. You have no idea what I'm feeling right now, so just go help your girlfriend. I don't need you to make me feel any worse. It's been a long day, and I don't have time for your bullshit." I turned away from him and walked inside.

Passing by Matt and Celia shockingly cooking in the kitchen, I found the room Suzie and Grant were staying in. Mindy's laughs were always pleasant and would help me calm down.

Suzie smiled wide as Grant tickled Mindy. The three of them were a Godsend. Grant's helpfulness with everything had become priceless. He always helped with Mindy and was there for Suzie when I couldn't be.

I was growing to care for the boy I'd once called a slithering piss ant. I smiled at the thought.

To think Grant would ever treat Suzie wrong was pure stupidity on my part. It was obvious. Grant was head over heels in love with Suzie, and I could tell she adored him.

Thomas was perched at the end of the bed with his head in his hands.

Closing the door, I leaned my gun against the wall.

Without interrupting the happy trio, I slowly made my way to Thomas, kneeling. "Hey, are you okay?"

Thomas's smoky gaze found mine. "Yeah, I'm just going through some shit. It's not easy having to burn all your dad's stuff, you know?"

I chuckled and nodded. "I know."

His eyes searched my face. "I guess you do, don't you? I'm such a pussy. You've been through way more than I have. I only lost one parent. You lost two in the same night."