Chapter 7

Evie woke me up in the morning. She jumped on my bed at 9:30.

"Ugh I slept in," I said rubbing my eyes. I looked at my fists, realizing I'd forgotten to take my makeup off last night.

"You look funny!" Evie said laughing. I smiled and walked into my bathroom. I had mascara smeared under my eyes.

I washed my face and went downstairs. I took Cookie Crisp out for Evie and Special K out for me. I gave Evie her bowl.

"Where's dad?" I asked, pouring my milk.

"I don't know. He never came home last night," Evie said, still focused on her cereal.

I stopped eating. Was his car in the driveway? How had I not noticed?

"Not at all?" I repeated.

"Nope." She wasn't thinking anything of it.

She didn't care about him. He hated us.

I hurried over to my phone and called him. It went straight to voicemail. I called again. And again. Each time there was no answer. My stomach sunk.

"Evie, when was the last time you saw him?" I asked nervously.

"Thursday, why?" She said, looking up from her bowl.

"And you haven't-"

I was interrupted by the house phone ringing. Nobody ever calls the house phone. Not unless something's happened.

My heart was beating out of my chest.

"H-hello?"

My heart nearly stopped when I heard the words come out of the lady's mouth.

"W-what?"

"I'm very sorry we couldn't let you know sooner..." the lady spoke.

"I-its o-ok..." I hung up.

"Evie, go get changed," I said.

"But what about the rest of my cereal?" She asked.

"You're gonna have to skip that today."

She ran up the stairs.

I looked down at my hands. I was shaking.

How did I not realize?