Fire

"So just like that they let you go?"

"Yup. I mean I feel like I shouldn't have said anything. But, Jesse you know me. I can't lie about who I am. I did it for so long."

"Nic there's nothing wrong. You just dodged a bullet with that lady. She's crazy too. She's lost my vote." Jesse laughed.

"I know, but it's not like my being gay stopped me from doing my job."

"Nic, it's fine. Move on, she's one of them."

"I guess."

Nicole and Jesse walked to their car.

"You know Nic, she could be into you. You know, like one of those housewives that needs a little love."

"J please stop. She's a conservative lady. Do you know who they assigned to her?"

"Some rookie, Daniels I think."

"Oh."

Before Jesse could make one of her smart comments a call came over the radio.

******

"Mrs.Valdez, how are you going to handle the views on gay rights?"

Maria felt her body stiffen. 'Who the hell comes up with these questions?'

"Well, those people have their own views. However, it's up to the state and myself, if elected, to make the right choice. That's all the questions for now. Thank you."

Maria left the stage, the reporters still yelling questions.

"Joanna, how was it?"

"Great. you handle it well. You have a high chance."

They walked to the back door where Maria's car was waiting, along with her new bodyguard.

"Hello Mrs. Valdez, I'm officer Daniels your new bodyguard. I'm so excited to be..."

"Ok, slow down. Just stay focused and we'll be fine." Maria interjected, stop Daniels.

"Yes ma'am."

Daniels opened the car door, allowing Maria to slip in. As they rounded a street corner protestors swarmed the car banging on the windows. Before the driver could pull through, one of the protestors smashed the window.

"Drive!"

The driver pulled of heading to Maria's home.

***********

"In other news, Maria Santiago-Valdez was attacked....."

Nicole sat in her living room watching the news. She honestly didn't really feel bad for Maria. But, she knew they'd be calling her soon. Her phone started ringing.

"Yo, Nic! did you see the news?"

"Yeah, Jesse!" Nicole's voice full of sarcasm.

"Whatever! I bet they wish they had you. she wouldn't have been in danger with a nice fella girly like you around." Jesse joked.

"No way. I'm not even into her."

'Or am I? Nicole what are you thinking of course you're not into her.'

"Hello, Nic you there?" Jesse said pulling her from her thoughts.

"Yeah, yeah I heard you."

"So, do you think they'll call you to come back?"

'I hope so' Nicole thought. "No they'll find someone else."

*****************

"How could you idiots let this happen?!" John's voice was full of rage. "She could have be seriously injured maybe even killed. Who was there with her?!"

"Sir we are so sorry. We didn't know that they were going to be there." One of the officers said, before retreating to the back row.

"I don't care how sorry you are! you should have know to look things up! WHO WAS WITH HER?!"

The crowd of officers spread and left Daniels in the middle. "I was sir." he said timidly.

"You're fired."

"What? But sir I..."

"I said YOU'RE FIRED"

Daniels' head dropped as he made his way to the door.

"All of you leave. NOW!"

The rest if the officers left. John went to his phone calling his assistant.

"Get me Officer Nicole Brian."

**************************

Hope you like it.

Much love

-M