Regret - Part 3

Can came out of Sanem's room and closed the door behind him silently. Osman stood outside with 2 cups of coffee. He offered one to Can, "Tea. I know you don't much like coffee." Can took a grateful sip and looked up at Osman with surprise. "No sugar! Evet! I know. Who do you think Sanem talks about all the time anyway?" Osman toom a sip from his own cup and grimaced at the bland taste of it.
"Did Sanem speak about... " Can hesitated unsure how much Osman knew.
"You being together? " Osman looked at Can questioningly. "Even before since she confessed her love to you. " Can looked stupified.
" When? " he barely whispered the question.
" When she first realized that she was in love with the one man in the world she had no right to love..."
Can closed his eyes and inhaled deeply.
"I don't want to add to your guilt Can.." Osman continued looking straight into his eyes, "..but I think you need to understand our Sanem a lot more before you judge her! "
" I love her, she means everything to me... "Can replied heatedly. Who did Osman think he was?
"..But do you trust her completely?" Osman parried calmly. Too calmly Can thought. He knew. Somehow Osman knew his deepest darkest secret...
"I.. " Can opened his mouth to refute but words deserted him. He shook his head and sat down at a nearby bench. He leaned forward and held his head between his hands as if in immense pain. And he was in pain, so much pain! Osman realized.
" You need to forgive her and trust her again..." Can didn't respond. "...and if you cannot, you must let her go! "
Can jerked up and pulled Osman by the collar of his jacket, " She belongs to me, she is mine.. "
"Then tell her that and stop playing with her feelings." Osman reared back heatedly. " She has suffered enough, do you now want payment in blood? " Can turned pale as if all his life force had been sucked away.
"Sanem is a simple girl. She doesn't have the veneer of sophistication that you seem to expect of her. She doesn't understand your games Can. You either believe her that she loves you and never intented to hurt you or you tell her point blank that you are incapable of forgiveness and let her go. Let her find a man who will trust her and love her like she deserves" Osman finished passionately.
"How many times do I have to tell you that Sanem is mine? How many times? " Can pounced on Osman like a caged lion suddenly set free.
" This is a hospital. Please behave yourself..." the nurse stared at both Can and Osman before she walked back to her station.
" I am sorry Osman. I don't know what came over me..." Can released his fingers from Osman's collar.
" If just the mention of letting her go is this painful to you Can, imagine Sanem's plight when she has to watch you interact with all those women day in day out.. "
" They mean nothing to me.. "
"Have you given her any reason to believe that Can? They are your friends and so is she. Am I right? One of your genius ideas. For such a worldly man you are amazingly stupid. "
Can gaped at Osman. He opened his mouth to speak and for the second time in as many minutes, words deserted him again.
" I do not know you Can but I know Sanem. She has been like a sister to me since Ayhan and she were in pigtails. I don't like to see her in pain.. "
" What should I do? " Can replied brokenly.
" You need to ask yourself that...trust your instincts. Above all listen to your heart. " Osman walks away leaving a dejected Can sitting on the bench outside Sanem's cabin.

Can took out his phone and dialed Leyla's number.
" How is Sanem Can bey? " Leyla asked immediately.
"She is out of danger Leyla. The doctors are hopeful. With time she will get better. "
"Oh thank God Can bey. If you hadn't been there to help her... "
" No Leyla. It wasn't me. It was all Osman." Can looked at Osman as he ushered Ayhan to where Can sat.
" He brought Sanem to the hospital on time. He is the real hero here. "
Osman looked skeptically at Can, not understanding the conversation fully.
"No Leyla, you need not come here now. We are here. Even Ayhan has come. You can all come down in the morning once she is more stable. " Can disconnected the phone and looked at Osman and Ayhan.
" I have informed Leyla about Sanem. She should be here in the morning..." Ayhan looked from Osman to Can and back to Osman trying the understand the strange under currents between the two men.
At that moment CeyCey and Guliz arrived too.
" We will be here Can bey till Sanem wakes up. " CeyCey declared.
" I think you should head home Can and come back in the morning. You look like a complete mess.. " Ceycey, Guliz and Ayhan stare open mouthed at Osman. " What? He does..." Osman sputtered.
" I think we both do and need to head back home. Right Osman? " Can cut in before Osman could continue further.
"Tamam. Ayhan you will come with me..."
" I just came in. Moreover CeyCey, Guliz are here. I will stay. You go, take some rest and come back in the morning.. " Ayhan replied to Osman.
Osman looked at CeyCey and Guliz. Finally he looked at Can and slowly nodded his head. He was truly tired.
Osman and Can walked away together towards the elevator.
"I'll pick you up in the morning along with Leyla and Mevkive... "
Osman looked at Can.. "Why?"
"Friends help each other, don't they?" Osman shook his head, realizing that Can had now turned the table on him..
He smiled at Can and noded.. " Evet! Friends always help each other.... "

To be continued...