Chapter 4

February 3rd

"Tash, come on," said Adam.

Tasha rolled over onto her back and covered her eyes. The sun was too bright and she didn't know why Adam was disturbing her from a perfect good sleep in the sun. It was his idea to go to the beach, anyway, so he didn't have to end it.

"What time is it?" asked Tasha.

"Time to go," replied Adam, "if we are going to get back in time to pick up Braedon."

"I don't want to go. It is so nice."

"I know, but Braedon will wonder where I am if I am late."

"Okay, okay, let's go."

With that decided, Adam and Tasha collected their things and headed back to the car. They had had a good day at the beach today.

Except for one incident.

Adam knew that Tasha loved to have a relaxing day at the beach and if she happened to fall asleep, that was okay. But clearly he decided to have some fun with that today. While she was asleep, Adam went and found himself something special to scare his girlfriend.

A real live crab.

It was real.

Tasha hated it.

As soon as she felt something on her back, Tasha woke up and screaming before running at full pelt down the beach so she could be away from the crab. Tasha liked the beach as much as the next person, but crabs were scary. They were like the spiders of the beach and Tasha hated being around them. They were so scary.

But, other than that incident, the day at the beach was a good one and Tasha was feeling a lot calmer and relaxed after the morning's discussions.

...

Adam pulled into the car park at the front of the primary school and waited to hear the bell to dismiss everyone. Tasha wiped her still wet hair from her face. She was still wishing that she and Adam were at the beach. She had such a good time and now she was going to be going back more often.

Before long, the bell for the end of the day rang and Braedon could easily be seen running towards the playground, intent on having a good time. He must have thought that Adam would be late or something. Adam wasn't really sure why this was happening, he said, and he had to actually get out of the car and get Braedon to come over.

And, after what seemed to be a little fight, Adam managed to stop Braedon from playing and come to the car. Braedon sat in the back seat and started going through the beach stuff.

"Did you go to the beach?" he asked.

"We did," replied Tasha.

"Why?"

"Because we wanted to."

"Oh."

"How was school today?" asked Tasha, "what did you do?"

Braedon listed off everything he did during the day.

"Sounds interesting."

"It was boring."

"Why?"

"I don't like maths."

"It's not that bad."

"Everyone says it is going to get harder."

"Well, everyone is right."

"Oh," Braedon whined.