You're Going

Jade's POV:

I woke up, alone in bed, or at least I thought I was alone until I rolled onto my back and found Hunter laying on top of the bed, on Alonzo's side of the bed. I smiled at the German Shepard and began rubbing his belly. 

"Good morning handsome."I chuckled. "What are you doing here instead of Alonzo?"

Hunter simply stared at me before inching closer to me, so he could lick me on the face. I petted Hunter once more before pulling the covers back and getting out of bed. I went into the bathroom where I freshened up for the day. Then, I went into my closet and got dressed in a turquoise button-down shirt, boot cut jeans, and a brown belt. 

"Come on Hunter," I called, as I walked out of the master bedroom and headed into the kitchen. 

When I walked into the kitchen, Alonzo still was nowhere to be found

When I walked into the kitchen, Alonzo still was nowhere to be found. However, Misty was sitting under the counter resting, so I squatted down and gently pat her on the belly. Then, I opened the fridge and looked for something to have for breakfast. I didn't find anything I was interested in, so I pulled out the milk and grabbed a cereal box from the pantry. I pulled out a bowl and a silver spoon, poured the cereal into the bowl before I did the milk.

I sat down at the counter and began eating my breakfast. I was close to being done when I jumped out of the seat from Alonzo saying, "Good morning."

Before I turned around, I calmed myself down from the spook. I turned around and smiled at Alonzo, I was pretty embarrassed about jumping.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to spook you." Alonzo apologized.

"It's fine," I replied.

There were a few brief moments of silence. I didn't know what to say and neither did Alonzo. I sat back down, on the stool while I still was faced toward Alonzo.

"Oh, I hope you don't mind but I made an appointment with an obstetrician for later today. I would have booked something further out, but they are pretty much booked and they had an opening pop up today." Alonzo explained. "I hope that is alright?"

"Yeah, that's fine. Thanks for doing that." I thanked.

Alonzo smiled and went back outside, to do his ranching duties. I wasn't happy that I had an appointment for later today. But, Alonzo made an effort and I don't want to be that rude woman, so I wasn't going to complain. In all honesty, I just wasn't ready to be a mother.

***

It's an hour before my scheduled appointment. Alonzo and I were in the truck, driving to the obstetrician's office. Since we lived out away, it was going to take us a good amount of time to get to the practice. Once we arrived, Alonzo parked the truck and helped me out of the truck. We headed for the front door. Alonzo grabbed the door and held it open for me. When I was in the building, I couldn't stop myself from shaking. Alonzo checked me in, while I found us two seats in a corner, as we waited to be called back.

I started moving my leg up and down, trying to calm my nerves but that didn't help. Then, I began fiddling with my fingers. That didn't even help.

"Are you alright?" Alonzo asked.

"Yeah." I lied.

"You sure?"

"I'm just a little bit nervous," I admitted.

"There is nothing to be scared of." Alonzo comforted.

I was eased for a little bit, but that quickly changed once the nurse called my name. Alonzo shot out of his chair, while it took me a few seconds to get out of my seat. We both walked over to the kind nurse, who escorted us to one of their exam rooms. She shut the door once all three of us were inside the exam room.

"Alright Mrs. Travis, here is a gown for you to change in to and I will be back to take some tests." the nurse said, as she handed me the gown and walked out of the exam room.

I held the gown in my hands and looked at Alonzo.

"Would you mind?" I asked.

"Oh, oh not at all," Alonzo said, as he turned around to face the wall.

I quickly took off my clothes and changed into the gown. I put my clothes to the side and sat down on the exam table, before having Alonzo turn around. It wasn't long before the nurse came back. She took my blood pressure and drew some blood. Then, she left again and said she would be back with the doctor.

Time went by and I was getting anxious. I want to leave so bad. Where is the doctor? What is taking so long?

The exam room door opened and in walked the doctor.

"Hi! My name is Dr. Lisa Sanchez." she began. "You must be Mr. and Mrs. Travis. It's a pleasure to meet y'all."

The doctor seemed like a nice lady, but that still didn't ease my worries.

"Alright Jade, put your bottoms back on and have a seat on the exam chair." Dr. Sanchez instructed.

I sat on the exam chair. The doctor sat on her wheeling stool and came over to me, as she propped my feet up and wheeled over the ultrasound machine. Alonzo stood by my side.

"So, I have some good news." the doctor started. "Your baby tested negative for extra chromosomes, that usually indicate birth defects. Now we are going to see the baby by using the ultrasound."

She had me role up the gown so that nothing was covering my stomach. She squirted a small amount of cold gel onto my stomach. Then, she grabbed the wand and put it onto the gel, as she began moving it around my abdomen. I turned my head to the screen and moved my eyes back and forth between the doctor and the screen. 

The doctor stopped moving the wand across my stomach. Instead, she stopped in one spot and she tapped a few buttons on the machine. Then, she took the wand off my stomach and wiped away the remaining gel with a towel. 

"Well, y'all should be very happy." the doctor started. "Your baby is in perfect health and seems to be developing correctly."

Alonzo couldn't help but smile. He was so happy to hear the good news. The ultrasound printed out a picture of the developing fetus, so the doctor took it and handed it to me. I looked down at the picture. I saw that there was a little circle starting to develop. I knew it was the baby. 

"Now do y'all have any questions for me?" 

Alonzo wasted no time asking the doctor a few questions. 

"Actually yes, what vitamins do you recommend for Jade to take?" he asked. 

"Any prenatal vitamins will do. The 1 a day brand seems to be very popular." answered the doctor.

"What about exercise?"

"Highly recommended, but don't stress about it or overdo it."

"Also, what do you have to say about riding?"

"Horse riding?" asked the doctor.

"Correct," Alonzo replied. 

"Absolutely NO riding. We don't want Jade to fall off of the horse and onto her belly." the doctor ordered. "Any other questions?"

I had nothing to ask her and it seemed that Alonzo had run out of questions too. 

"Any questions about physical contact?" the doctor hinted. 

My eyes widened. I felt so uncomfortable!

"Like sex?" Alonzo asked.

"Yes." the doctor replied

"Nope, nothing more," I assured her before Alonzo said anything else.