A Chance

Acnologia watched as Natsu Dragneel, dawned with all of the dragon slayer's powers, hurled a fire dragon's fist at him. He smiled, realizing many things; unable to move, he felt weak, but he felt human, something he hadn't felt in a while. Before it all ended he passed on the only thing he could to the true dragon king... his title. Then it all went black.

He had dealt with death, killed many, but he had never felt it. His death did not feel complete; in fact, he did not believe that he had truly died.

"Acnologia," a voice called startling him.

He opened his eyes and found himself lying on a grey floor which was covered in mist. The mist was everywhere. He got to his feet and looked himself over. He was in human form, and his clothes were the same, he looked at his hands... his hands

"What the fu-" he began to think marveling at the fact that his entire arm was back.

"Acnologia," the voice called again.

"Show yourself!" he replied yelling into the mist, his body shook as the hair on the back of his neck stood on end. He hated when someone could sneak upon him.

"I'm right here," a soft voice responded.

Acnologia spun around to see someone he did recognize. She stood still with a strange smile on her face. Her smile was bright but her eyes were full of pain.

"Anna?" Acnologia questioned, something in him wanted to smile but the feeling was crushed by a flood of absolute rage.

"Hello, Acnologia... it's been too long," she smiled sweetly as if nothing had ever come between them.

"Why am I not dead?" he gritted his anger flooding through his body and pounding in his ears.

She smiled, "I'm so sorry Acnologia."

"For which offense," scoffed Acnologia.

"I know Sonya's death was hard, I know your master's death was... simpler, but I'm certain that it was ultimately my leaving that drove you to the edge."

"Oh, I see," Acnologia growled.

"I'm sorry about... everything," she said sadly.

"I promised myself that I would kill every dragon in existence, it didn't occur to me that my mate would bring along my downfall," Acnologia growled turning his head away and adding a hint of scorn to his voice.

The mist formed into images; there was a huge black dragon slaying a red one, a black dragon attacking an island, a dozen other images formed of a black dragon with blue markings, usually slaying dragons or slaughtering humans. None of them bothered the man.

"I did what I had to do, no matter how hard it pained me," Anna breathed looking to the images.

"I'm sure it pained you ever so much to leave me," Acnologia said sarcastically.

"It did!" Anna objected desperately.

"If it pained you so much why did you leave!? Why did you go with Igneel and Zeref? Why did you plot my downfall?"

She looked on the verge of tears, "Because you weren't the man or dragon I knew."

Acnologia couldn't look at her; he had changed tremendously after Sonya's death... but so had she. Just looking at her brought crushing emotions of betrayal and anger.

"I watched you slay thousands of dragons and bathe in their blood. What could I do, I had to turn to the one person that had a plan to stop you," her eyes filled with tears as she spoke, she too had to look at the ground.