Chapter 28

26... 27... 38... 39... Ei lost count of how many times she had hit the trunk with the ax.

After a moment trying to remember, she gave up counting. Then, at some unknown number, the girl had struck enough, and the tree fell with a loud and dry thump.

Her arms throbbed and the bandages around her hands were red with blood from the wound. Ei ignored the pain, cleaned the handle and turned to the next tree, hitting another trunk, now without bothering to count.

The girl had no idea how much firewood they needed, but she knew she had more than enough. Even so, that didn't stop Ei from striking the tree with the ax again and again. The distraction, and even the pain, were welcome. She didn't want to stay still even for a moment. Whenever she wasn't doing anything, the pain in her heart overwhelmed her.

After they had cried together, the priest told her to rest, but Ei couldn't. She couldn't stay inside the temple. She had to do something and left. The girl walked at random, accompany by her pain that pierced her like her sword nonstop.

When Ei came to herself, she realized she was in the clearing where the fight had happened. Her breathing became slow and deep as she looked at the beast-made trail. There at the end, she saw the massive dead body, undisturbed by nature or the villagers.

Before she realized it, her feet brought her closer to the best. From afar it was big, from close, it was monstrous. No one in the right mind would fight something like this... It's stupid, she knew. Master's an idiot... master... why did you have to fight this thing...?

Ei looked up the grey sky and cried.

She had no idea for how long, but when the tears dried, she forced herself to stare at the beast again. Ei had no idea why, but she wanted to see the Oni.

The body was covered with hundreds of small wounds. Each and every one was superficial and barely caused any real damage to the beast. But they were proof her master was an incredible swordsman and that his blade could cut anything.

His sword... Only then she remembered her master's blade.

The remains were in the same place, piercing the back of the demon's head. Ei sat before the head, place both feet on the Oni's face and pulled the handle with all her strength. The weapon didn't even budge.

She closed her eyes, concentrated, and pulled. Nothing. But she tried again and again, until her hands were raw. The blade didn't budge at all.

But Ei didn't give up. The sword was a shadow of the great weapon it once was. A shadow that did not serve to fight and had no value. Even so, it belonged to two great swordsmen.

With a rock, she circled the beast and hit the tip of the broken blade. With the first few strikes, Ei felt the weapon moving a bit. It was barely anything, but it made her hit harder and faster. Until she was striking both the blade and the beast's head, soaking the rock with that dark blood.

Thanks to her raw hands, the stone slipped through her fingers and she struck her hand on the tip of the blade. Though the wound was deep, Ei didn't scream. It didn't hurt as much as it should.

She unwrapped the bandages from her leg and covered the wound. Then she picked up the rock and hit the weapon again. She only stopped when the sword was buried on the back of the head.

Tossing the rock aside, Ei ran around the beast and sat before the face. Despite her wounds, she pulled the sword again.

The girl had no idea how long it took, but she finally managed to pull the blade free.