• fourteen •

Corben was in the kitchen, baking some cookies just to kill time. He hasn't gone to the Ministry today, or the day before, or the day before that. Harry has told him it would be a good idea to stay away from the Ministry while his mother's trial was going on.

He wasn't sure why it was taking so long. As Harry has told him earlier, the trial would be over in a day, and Corben would be allowed to visit her in a week. But a week has already passed, but no letter from Harry has arrived. He has considered writing to him, asking about what was going on. But he had crumpled and thrown away the letters he had tried writing, unable to formulate into words what was going through his mind.

Thus, he stayed at home. He hardly left the house, and spent most of his time lying on his bed. A few days back, he has gone to a muggle library and purchased a few books, deciding to engage in some reading. But the books lay unused on his table, gathering dust.

He has then decided to do what he liked doing – cook. He had hunted through the fridge and the cupboard and gathered up some ingredients, before beginning to cook different foods he probably wouldn't be eating anyway. Nevertheless, it was nice to have something to do, and keeping himself busy kept thoughts of his mother away.

Once the cookies were prepared, he laid the tray down on the kitchen table. He brought a plate and placed two of the cookies on it, then took it to his bedroom. He sat down on the floor and began to lazily munch on a cookie.

The bell rang. From the way it sounded – a single, deep ring – Corben was able to deduce that it was his brother. With a sigh, he stood up to open the door. He was glad that at least his cookies wouldn't go to waste.

When he opened the door, however, it wasn't just Blaise who was standing on the other side – it was also Theo. The former stood unmoving, but Theo immediately crossed the threshold and pulled Corben into a hug. Corben remained stiff for a moment, before he gave in and hugged him back.

"I'm sorry," Theo whispered.

Corben could only nod his head.

After a moment, he pulled away. "Come in," he said, realising suddenly how hoarse his voice was.  Not having spoken to anyone for days has made him nearly forget how to talk. "There are cookies on the table. Help yourself."

Theo went into the kitchen whilst Blaise followed his brother to his bedroom. He still hasn't spoken a word, and Corben wasn't going to be the first one to break the silence. Thus, it dragged on, verging dangerously into the region of uncomfortable. Thankfully, however, Theo entered the room just then, carrying a tray and three plates. He has also brought a jug of orange juice, along with glasses. After pouring some of it into a glass, he handed it to Corben, saying, "Why did I expect you two would be hugging each other and weeping?"

"Because you never learn?" suggested Corben.

Theo looked at him, regarding him with mild concern. He observed the room, as though trying to figure out if Corben has been taking care of himself or if he has completely abandoned his daily activities and turned his house into trash. But he needn't have worried. Corben liked keeping himself busy, and thus one would never find his house in a state of misery.

"How are you holding up?"

"Just fine," he shrugged.

"Have you spoken to the Ministry blokes?" asked Theo. "Will they let you visit your mother?"

"He is not visiting his mother." Blaise finally spoke, causing the other two to swivel their heads in his direction. They both seemed to have forgotten that Blaise was with them in the room.

Corben saw Theo shooting a stern look in his direction, proving that they have talked about this before. Blaise sighed and raised his hands in surrender.