(Chapter 1)

(Chapter one)

Sometimes it felt like I was falling off a cliff. Trying to swing my limbs trying to catch anything in my path. But I can only see scenes of everything. The un-despicable mutants. They reach at me. Taking from my conscious-ness. Until I am a little speck, only then can I go un-detected. My mind was leaving me. But yet I still heard the whispers. The scarce little things they were, eating my brain. Unlike those zombies, the matter of the voices were to get me out of reality. I wish they would escape me, maybe it was helping me. All I could think about was the blood devouring pathetic souls that would soon be after me. They were what I called walkers, others just said ‘Ahhhh!" and got eaten on cue. But I was too smart for them. I knew to survive you can’t be afraid to smash some heads in with a rusty pipe. Since the whole city is trashed and still I am the only one who is… well… alive. My name is Zoey Byres. And this is life as I now know it.

January 11, 2012

So today was the day I decided to start writing. I thought it was quite possibly the only thing that would preserve my sanity. Yet again I am pretty numb to the whole flesh eating zombies outside of these tall apartments. I wanted to go out and search for other survivors, but at this point it felt totally useless. I knew that if I had found a gun or some sort of other weapon besides my "going to do the laundry but I have to protect myself from blood fiends" pipe, then maybe just maybe I could find another safe place. It’s getting late, the sun has already turned blood red from the diseased. And the only way I could fall asleep was to listen to the cries of tortured souls that once were like me, and soon wake up at sunrise.

"Help me! Oh please for the love of god! Help me!", I heard a woman’s voice shout. I jumped off the tattered couch I’d been sleeping on and quickly grabbed the metal pipe by my nightstand. "Anyone there?!", I screamed out my door. My door had been bolted from the inside, I don’t know how I possibly unlocked it. Probably my insides crying for some other person to be alive. As I walked down the hall cautiously, I looked for any signs of human life. But there were none. Just some news papers dated December 25, 2011. It made me tear up remembering that Christmas. My son Benjamin was just four years old, when he died. And if your thinking it was an attack it wasn’t. He died of leukemia, and that was the last Christmas we had together. Luke, my ex- husband was not a good father. He’d left once he had heard our son had leukemia. Ever since the infection of the blood fiends broke out, I’d prayed one ate his scrawny little heart right in front of him. Partially from anger, and because he had broke his dying son’s spirit.

February 4, 2012

It’s been a while since I’ve written, only because these days tick away like seconds on a clock. The hardest part about living like this is it causes you to think about things you don’t want to. Like how life was before. The past few days I’ve dreamt about the day my mom sent me away to a summer camp. It ended right before the car crash every time. See my mother wasn’t a bad mom, but she thought sending me to a camp might help me with my social skills. Two weeks before I was going home I got a call from a Fairmay’s chief police officer, he had told me my mother and father had been in a terrible accident involving an eight-teen wheeler and their tiny corolla. After that I had become just Zoey. I took off my last name and decided if anyone were to marry me, their name would be mine. And I must try to sleep now, my horrible headache and the zombies outside my window aren't helping.

"Hello?!", a frantic voice screamed at my door. They seemed to repeat themselves, as if they were going door to door. "Hey! I’m here!", I screamed back. Nothing. No sound. I ran to the door and swung it open, and to my surprise a little girl maybe twelve was staring at me with a blank cold expression. "Y-y-your n-not a m-monster are you?!", the girl finally let out with tears streaming down her face. "No!", I said almost to quickly. She ran into me like a bull and hugged me. "Please don’t leave me out here, please!", she said with more tears..