earlier version of chapter 5 (bonus)

Allura blinked as the actinic light faded and the walls of the Alabaster Lyceum were now around them.

The clerk near the door looked up, then stood and bowed his head.

"Arcanist Vysoren, welcome back to Emon. I'm afraid that I hadn't realised you had departed."

"We left rather hurriedly a couple of days ago."

The clerk nodded then turned. "Lady Kima, Gilmore," as he bowed again to the other travellers. The pair both nodded in return then Gilmore gestured to the ladies and they all departed.

Kima turned back to Gilmore. "Tell me again, please." 

"My dear, I suspect you are taking a little too much pleasure from this situation," replied Gilmore grandiosely, entirely failing to hide his own smile.

"It's just so Grog though." Kima replied, almost girlishly, eyes shining.

Allura sighed and followed behind them as Gilmore once again gave a florid description of Grog's misadventure with the Deck of Many Things, which meant that Vox Machina, heroes who saved the world, were currently in Pandemonium searching for his imprisoned soul, rather than say mourning the loss of Vax'ildan, or accepting the thanks of grateful nations.

It had been pure chance that Pike had even witnessed the goliath pulling a card and it had taken the group over a day to determine what had happened. and in true Vox Machina fashion, they had then immediately plane shifted on a hasty rescue mission.

Allura and Kima arrived at Whitestone from Vasselheim not long after, their own private r&r followed by the diplomatic entreaties that seemed to fill Allura's schedule more and more since the fall of the Chroma Conclave.

Whilst they had missed Vox Machina, the partners had arrived in time to witness Syldor and his wife arriving to collect a much improved Velora, who spoke endlessly and with awe about her 'bewtiful' sister Vex and endlessly wondering when Vax would stop hiding and pop out to say 'boo!' 

Kima had been the one to finally break the adult's uncomfortable silence to tell the young elf that her half-brother had gone away and no-one knew if he was coming back.

Velora nodded solemnly as if she understood then stated "He's still just hiding then." and continued to explore Castle Whitestone for him.

Syldor and his family had returned to Syngorn shortly after. As she bid him farewell, Allura noticed that there was something in his eyes. Though she didn't know him well, they had interacted a few times over the last year as Vex developed her ambassadorial duties, and the Crisis Orbs had been created and the Arcanist fancied that the loss of his son may have actually, finally, softened his heart to his estranged children.

Allura had been glad to see that Kaylie was already up and about, and had firmly embraced the snark of her father but Cassandra seemed a little more withdrawn than Allura had experienced prior and she had made a note to ensure that Percy, and Vex, kept an eye on her. Cassandra's brush with death still comparatively soon to her torment under the Briarwoods had raised flags for both Allura and Kima.

But with nothing practical that required immediate aid in Whitestone, Allura needed to return to her own duties in Emon. Of course, Kima remained at her side, and Gilmore needed to return to his own responsibilities.

Allura re-focused on the pair walking in front, GIlmore gesticulating as if to suggest an oafish barbarian struggling to read a card before his soul was captured. Kima's face was lit up with the whole idea of it. 

Vox Machina had shared with Allura where the Deck of Many Things had come from, and what they planned to do with it. The Arcanist made a mental note that perhaps her halfling wife was not in the best place right now to know that. certainly she had been disappointed not to have been there available to go with Vox Machina, which was something that Allura privately was very glad about. Spending any time on the plane of Pandemonium did not appeal to her.

Ahead of her, the pair stopped. Ahead the street split and Allura knew that Gilmore's shop was off to the side.

"Ladies," the wizard said, "I'm aware the council called for all of us but I think perhaps I need a moment or two for myself." As he spoke, he absently removed a snowdrop from his lapel and spun it. The two ladies shared a quick glance, both conscious of the snowdrop that each currently had tucked in behind an ear.

Allura rested her hand on his arm. "That will be fine, Gilmore," before Kima embraced him in a rough hug, armour clanking.

Gilmore mock gasped as if his breath had been pushed out - though Allura thought perhaps it had a little - then kissed the halfling on the head, before extracting himself, resting his hand on Allura's a moment as his glorious smile brightened his face for a moment.

"I'm just sure that Sherri also has plans for anti-Gate magic in the shop," he remarked, taking a step or two back. "I think perhaps though I need to take a walk. For old times sake." His eyes rested on the flower in his fingers and the smile was not quite so bright.

There was a pause for a second then he shook himself and bowed with a florish, "Until next time, my good ladies!" And he strode off.

As they both watched him go, Kima spoke up to Allura, though her eyes watched Gilmore carry on down the street.

"Think he'll be okay?" She asked.

"Gilmore will be just fine," Allura replied. "With all the commotion surrounding Grog, I'm not certain he has properly had time to say goodbye to an old friend." She looked at Kima, "And the council doesn't need to hear from him today but it does the both of us."

Kima's face fell. "Both of us? You know, you could tell them my part and I'll be waiting for you at home? Get some food on for us!"

Allura's arm reached across Kima's shoulders and she firmly began walking towards the council chambers. Though she didn't resist, Kima's stride had a distinct sound of dragging feet

"My love, "said Allura. "Your cooking still tastes far too much like travel rations. Besides, you were right in the middle of the fray. Gilmore was a continent away for almost all of it." Her tone was unflinching, though there was a loving smile. Kima was the first to charge headlong into danger but facing a meeting would probably always be more challenging for the paladin she loved.

As the pair continued down the street, Kima vainly coming up with protests and their arm's around each other, from a corner of a rooftop above, a shadowy figure watched both the woman continuing.

 "Farewell Allura. Farewell Kima." The figure's head turned to regard the departing back of the Gilmore

"Farewell Shaun."

Though the figure appeared to be wanting to say more, there were no more words. Then there was a motion, and all that was left was a single raven's feather, slowly riding the currents on air as the sun shone above Emon, burning away all the shadows.