3

Slowly and reluctantly, I uncover my face. I blink, close my eyes, and blink again. Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind me. I glimpse at the glowing and radiant sun peaking above the horizon out of my window. It extended its vivid light across the deep crimson sky. Its dazzling and inviting rays flowed through the window providing warmth to my body. I sit up, drag my feet off the bed, and rub my knuckles onto my eyes. I stretch my arms above my head and yawn. I watch my legs dangle above the off-white polyester carpet.

I sat there for a few, admiring my the comfort on my room. I looked at the multiple greenery surrounding my bed. I bought these at some huge warehouse store a year or so ago. That fact that their still living is a testimony to the tenacity of life rather than my green thumbs. Were it not for Brooke coming over and dumping the cup of water in it's other wise parched soil, I'm sure it would already be brown. As it is, the plant is teetering between this life and being compost.

The lower leaves are dying but the top is still forming new leaves, shiny and small. A few brilliant green shoots are coming from the soil too, perhaps they come from the stressed out roots, I can almost imagine them growing nodules under the soil.

I finally got out of bed and headed towards my bathroom. If it weren't for my father's will, I would've never been able to afford this house. He died of liver failure about a year ago. It was tough living without him, he protected me from anything. Even the itsy bitsy spiders like crawled out of their hiding places.

I smiled at the memory.

My mom however, I guess you can say she had it worse after he died. It was just me and her living together during that time and she was constantly distant from me. I always asked her why and she just ignored it; ignored me really. Not to long after that, she just...left. I woke up one day and her stuff was gone. Her room was empty. All she left was a note, "I'm sorry, I can't stay here anymore. You're 18 now Ivy, you don't need me. Love you always."

Little did she know, I did need her.

I took the purple translucent toothbrush from its holder and spread a line of paste on the white bristles.

As I brushed my teeth, I thought about the man from my job. He was incredibly handsome and seemed so mysterious. Something I guess every girl would want to explore.

I finished up in the bathroom and walked back to my room. My room floor was extremely messy so, I picked up a few of my shirts and a couple socks off the wooden floor. I threw them into a corner of my room which already had grown into a stack of dirty clothes. I know I would eventually get around to cleaning but, I have no energy to do it.

Ever since I've been living alone, I rarely want to anything anymore. I barely go out and if I do, it's with my best friend or going to work or just jogging. I was convinced I've got depression once I started seeing signs but, an old therapist said he disagrees. I believe it's gotten a little worse and if I was to see him again, maybe his answer would be different.

I opened my curtains and open my window a bit to get some air in. The sun instantly blinded me and I squinted from the shock of its brightness. Once my vision came back to normal, I noticed a few trees rustling from my backyard below. My eyebrows furrowed as I waited to see what'd emerged. I'd hate to admit but, my heart was beating incredibly fast. Seconds later, a raccoon comes out of the green bushes next to the trees.

Which was odd, seeming as it was morning and raccoons are nocturnal creatures. I continued to watch in curiosity and made a small smile when the creature looked up at me. Maybe it thinks I'm the creeper from staring? It slowly goes back into the bushes and makes them rustle again.

My phone started buzzing, catching my attention. I picked it up and saw it was Brooke. She usually calls me in the morning to make sure I get out of bed.