7. Gym Troubles

The next morning it's a little easier to wake up than it was the previous one. I still wish I could throw my alarm clock out the window and roll back over and go back to sleep but at least when I finally climb out of bed I have enough motivation and energy to get ready for school. 

It's roughly fifteen minutes until my rustling around wakes up Josh and he turns over onto his back to look at me. "Damn, it feels like we just went to bed" he yawns and I chuckle, nodding in agreement. It was around eleven o'clock when Riley finally decided she should start the drive back to Greenwich and while the goodbye was sad we agreed that we'd get together more often, especially with the twins on the way. 

Afterwards Josh and I had stayed up for about an hour watching this week's episode of Riverdale before finally falling asleep around midnight. 

"Perhaps we should go to bed before midnight" I yawn, sitting on the edge of the bed as I pull a pair of knee high boots onto my feet to pair with an old pair of distressed jeans and an over-sized knit sweater. "Have any plans today?" I ask, glancing back at him. He shrugs. 

"I was planning on spending the afternoon napping and then maybe binging something on Netflix" he explains and I groan as I fall back onto the bed. 

"I hate you" I complain making him chuckle as he hovers above me. 

"Mhm, sure you do" he teases, leaning down to peck my lips. "You have a good day at work, okay?"

"I'll try" I reply, releasing a deep sigh as I sit up and run my fingers through my hair. "But I wouldn't count on it." 

His eyebrows furrow. "Why not?" he asks confusedly. 

I turn my head to look at him. "Because, today is my first gym class."

***********************************************************************************************

My first couple classes of the day are painless but as my eyes flutter shut during the third I'm reminded as to why I decided to nap through my first few periods yesterday. When the bell rings I stand up and start towards the locker room but slow down when Ariana sidles up beside me. 

"Hey" she greets me brightly. "Where are you going?" she asks curiously and I sigh. 

"Gym class" I tell her. It wasn't that I didn't think that gym class was important-. Who am I kidding? Gym class is a horrible requirement that doesn't do anything for our country but embarrass those who aren't athletically inclined. The only people that benefit from the class are athletes and most of them got preferential treatment anyway. 

"Same" she replies, her breath falling in a huff as she hugs her books to her chest. "Gym classes should be optional" she adds and I chuckle. Aside from her apparent involvement in the drug ring that this school was operating, I actually liked Ariana. Sure we wouldn't have been friends when I was in high school but then again I had my friend group solidified by the time seventh grade rolled around and after Smackle and Farkle joined we weren't taking applications. 

"Agreed" I smile as we walk into the locker room to change. Luckily, I was petite before becoming pregnant so a medium still fit me despite my baby bump and my classmates didn't think anything of the extra weight since they didn't know me before. 

I change and sit on the bench while I wait for Ariana to change and when she's finally ready we walk out into the gym and line up against the wall where our teacher was taking attendance. 

"Alright" the woman exclaims after blowing her whistle obnoxiously loud. "We're starting today with bleachers. Two sets. Go" she blows her whistle again and I already feel the nausea that I had escaped this morning coming back with a vengeance. There was no way I was getting through this work-out.