56

Nobody ever thought that the guard tower would collapse and fall onto the wall, who would think that? Smart people, wise people, that's who

Nobody ever thought that the guard tower would collapse and fall onto the wall, who would think that? Smart people, wise people, that's who. They should've figured that they weren't safe, nobody is safe in this world. Now, Scarlett is hiding behind a wide tree with Judith, trying to keep her quiet. But luck is just not on Scarlett's side today.

Judith lets out a cry as she watches a walker stumble past them. Scarlett lets out a few words before pulling her knife out and punctures the walker's skull. She shoves her knife back in the holster before clutching Judith tightly and holding the baby's head in her shoulder to seize the cries.

As she runs faster towards the houses, Scarlett reaches in her pocket and pulls the walkie-talkie out. With trembling hands, she presses down on the button. "If anyone is there, listen closely. I have Judith with me and there is walkers surrounding me. If anyone can come help, shoot down some of the walkers and I will pass Judith to you, there won't be enough time to get us both. Over." Tears well up in her blue eyes and she pulls the pistol out from her holster and clicks it off safety.

Aiming it at some walkers, she shoots, watching as their bodies crumble to the ground. As the walker's continue to close in, Scarlett feels a hand wrap around her ankle and she falls to the ground, flipping herself onto her back to prevent falling onto Judith. Pulling her knife out, she reaches down and stabs the walker in the head. Bullets begin to fly and Scarlett pulls a crying Judith closer to her chest, shielding the baby away from the snapping jaws of the walkers and the bullets flying everywhere.

Feeling herself being pulled up, she leans onto the body for support as they help her through the path. Stumbling up the steps, they pull her inside the house, shutting the door on the fingers of the walkers. "Oh my-I'm sorry." She breathes out, clutching the baby closer. Finally looking up, she sees Rick and Michonne looking down at her, worry in their eyes. Carl takes Judith from her arms, bringing her up the stairs.

As Scarlett leans against the wall for support, she takes a deep breath. "Is everyone okay?" She asks, catching her breath and standing up straight. "Not everyone-" Michonne trails off, looking over Scarlett's body for any sign of walker bites or scratches. "I'm fine." She utters, shaking everything off.

"Wait-Not everyone?" She asks, her heart beginning to race. "Deanna." Scarlett's eyes widen and she darts up the stairs, looking in each room until she finds the woman. "Scarlett, hey." Deanna whispers, chuckling. Deanna reaches for Scarlett's hand and Scarlett gives in, letting her hold it. Sitting down on the ground next to her, Deanna turns her head.

"Can you promise me something?" Deanna asks and Scarlett nods. "Forgive Spencer. He didn't mean to do what he did that year. Maybe even give him a second chance." Scarlett looks down at the ground, a solemn expression on her face.

Forgiving him will be quite easy because all she has to do is say she forgives him but she'll never forget. Now giving him a second chance is the problem, how is she suppose to get back with him knowing he can wreck her self-esteem once again.

Looking back up at her, she nods. "I'll try." She mumbles before standing to her feet. "You were always like a daughter to me and when you left I was confused because you and Spencer always seemed happy. Spencer never told me what happened until 1 year after." Deanna tells her and Scarlett chews on her bottom lip, staring down at her. "People can pretend to be happy even when they're hurting."

Slipping Deanna's hand out of hers, Scarlett walks out of the room, fiddling with her fingers.

"Merry Christmas!" Deanna greets, opening the door with a huge grin. "Deanna!" Scarlett fakes a smile, hugging the oblivious woman. After Deanna hugs Scarlett she reaches for her son, Spencer. "How's my daughter-in-law and son?" She asks, pulling the duo inside the warm house. "We aren't married, Deanna." Scarlett corrects, her smile shrinking.

"Oh, I know. But you're always going to be a daughter to me, so I don't care." Deanna shrugs it off before handing Scarlett a small box. "Open it!" Deanna exclaims, motioning towards the box. Scarlett chuckles before pulling the top off of the box and a ring twinkles in the light. "This is beautiful." Scarlett utters, pulling the ring out of the box and sliding it on her pointer finger. "The infinity sign represents this family's love for you and that it is never ending."

Staring at the ring, all Scarlett can think about is how her boyfriend seems to be the only one who doesn't love her anymore.

Some memories are good, others are bad. Ever since Scarlett has gotten to this community all she can think about is how broken she was because of him, and Deanna wants Scarlett to promise her to forgive him and possibly give him a second chance at her love?

She can't and it's not because of what all happened. It's because a certain someone keeps popping up in her mind every time she thinks about it and his name is Daryl Dixon.